USGA Data Scientist
|Published||December 9, 2022|
|Location||Pinehurst, United States of America|
The USGA is a leader in the global golf industry, whose purpose is to unify the game through programs like the World Handicap System, to showcase the best talent in the game through championships, to govern the game to promote fairness for all who play, and to advance the game and golf courses through innovation and science and programs that grow participation.
The Green Section is looking for a Data Scientist to join our exciting team. Are you interested in working at the intersection of research, engineering, and product in the sports industry? You will bring your knowledge of golf and data science and apply it to a variety of projects. From modeling golfer performance data, researching golf course sustainability, to helping to make recommendations to our product line. Working closely with a cross functional team to deliver key insights you are an integral part in assisting our team make data informed decisions. You have a natural curiosity to explore data delivering new, unexpected insights.
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf?
What you can expect:
Data Pipelines & Data Quality
- Build data pipelines from source systems to data lake
- Build data cleansing algorithms and reporting to ensure consistent reliable data
Analytics Modeling & Research
- Build predictive models of golfer behavior and golf course sustainability using statistical modeling and machine learning
- Lead quantitative research projects
- Design & execute experiments for research projects and core product line
- Assist in Pace of Play modeling for Championships and WHS research
- Leverage user data to provide quantitative analysis on how our users interact with our products
- Work with engineering and product teams to identify new opportunities to deliver value to our end customers
- Create business intelligence reports and analyze key performance metrics
- Develop analytics models that are deployed to production products (GIS Modeling, Streaming Data Analytics)
Product Development & Education
- Manage development and requirements of data infrastructure
- Evangelize the use of data science and best practices within the organization
- Act as an education resource to help cross functional teams understand what the data analysis means
What you bring to the USGA:
- Database – Strong working knowledge of SQL, Datawarehouse, or NoSQL databases
- Statistics – Strong knowledge of statistics with a basic knowledge of physics and math
- Experience with data science tools such as SciPy, Pandas, scikit-learn
- BA/BS – Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics
- Passionate about sports, particular sports analytics. Bonus for a background in golf
- Actively involved in the data science community and data visualization
About the USGA
The USGA is a nonprofit organization that celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf. Founded in 1894, we conduct many of golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment, handicapping and amateur status rules. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.