|Published||February 19, 2023|
|Location||Washington, United States of America|
The CFTC is currently hiring students studying economics under the Pathways Program. The CFTC offers substantive work that gives interns an opportunity to demonstrate their skills through work experience. Students will be assigned to work with CFTC staff members on projects and assignments that cover a broad range of the Commissions' work.
Interns will be placed in The Division of Data (DOD), performing the following duties:
- Enhance the existing data flow diagrams
- Write code using open source languages like Python or R.
- Create and run systems to smoke-test applications after service outages
- Catalog siloed data for enterprise data catalog
- Develop data dictionaries for elements in data catalog and identify duplicate or similar data
NOTE: If selected at the CT-07 level the full promotion potential is the CT-07. If selected at the CT-09 level the full promotion potential is the CT-09. Temporary positions do not have promotion potential.
***This Position is NTE 9/30/2023***
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an advanced degree student.
- You must be registered for Selective Service if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- You must be suitable for federal employment.
- Must major in economics, finance, applied statistics, or mathematics.
- Applicants must be a U. S. citizen
- Enrolled/accepted in an accredited educational institution
- Pursuing a degree in the listed field of study
- Undergraduate and Graduate school transcripts are required. Please submit both transcripts.
- Maintain enrollment at least half time as defined by the institution
- If selected, official transcripts must be submitted prior to establishing a start date
- Veteran's preference applies in the hiring process. In order to receive preference in hiring, applicants must clearly identify their claim for veteran's preference in the application
- Must maintain eligibility and enrollment for the duration of the internship
Pathways Internship Program Qualifications: Students must meet the qualifications requirements by May 31, 2023. The Summer Program will begin Jun 5,2023 thru September 30, 2023. Appointments are NOT TO EXCEED 90 days.
Basic Education Requirements:
- Degree: Mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science or field directly related to the position. The degree must be in a major field of study (at least at the baccalaureate level) that is appropriate for the position.
To qualify for this position at the grade 07 level, applicants must meet the following:
- Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education by May 31,2023; or Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision, as described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Operating Manual for Qualification Standards; and completion of a bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science or field directly related to the position as listed in the basic education requirements.
To qualify for this position at the grade 09 level, applicants must meet the following:
- Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education, or a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree by May 31, 2023.
Applicants must submit a copy of undergraduate and graduate transcripts; unofficial copies are accepted for the application package. See the Required Documents section for more information.
*If selected at the CT-07 level the full promotion potential is the CT-07. If selected at the CT-09 level the full promotion potential is the CT-09. Temporary positions do not have promotion potential.
***All requirements must be met by May 31, 2023. Final transcripts must be submitted prior to establishing an official start date***
***All applications must be received via www.usajobs.gov***
Refer to the Qualifications section for Mandatory Education Requirements specific to this series, and the Requirements section for information pertaining to the Pathways Internship Program.
U.S. EDUCATION: Institutions located within the United States that have attained accreditation are listed on the U.S. Department of Education's website. To verify your institution's accreditation, please access this website: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx
A complete listing of all institutions, including those located outside of U.S. territories, may be found in Accredited Institutions of Post-Secondary Education, a handbook published annually by the American Council on Education (ACE).
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
Salaries will be adjusted to 2023 salary rates.
By submitting your application you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired, you may be terminated after you begin work, or you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will be required to submit official documentation before appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (e.g., degree, veterans' documentation, certification of disability, etc.).
This position is a Summer Internship and will not be extended beyond 9/30/2023.
***The CTFC is currently operating in a remote posture. If selected for this position, you will be required to report to a CFTC location for onboarding. Per Agency's policy, you may have to follow reporting procedures***