Staff Deep Learning Compiler Engineer
|Published||January 18, 2023|
|Location||San Francisco, United States of America|
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning to perform critical tasks. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, we collaborate with skilled ML engineers to optimize the models for compute and power efficient inferencing on Cruise's on-car ML hardware accelerators. Such a close working relationship is key to rapidly deploying intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for a machine learning compiler engineer to build the compiler and software tool chain for deploying machine learning models on to a variety of ML hardware accelerators. In this position, you will develop and enhance Cruise’s internal ML compiler for high-performance, usability and retargetability.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers and researchers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements at the application level while engaging with AV hardware teams to understand the target hardware platform and its constraints.
What you'll be doing
- Influence foundational compiler architecture decisions and strategy within Cruise
- Develop high level ML compiler optimizations like operator fusion, memory planning, layout optimization
- Build out the compiler backend for the different on-car ML accelerators
- Build performance tooling to evaluate, understand and improve ML performance on different accelerators
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams of AV engineers to influence our ML strategy and provide requirements for hardware vendors
- Follow industry and academic developments in the ML compiler domain and provide performance guidelines and standard methodologies for other engineers
- Take a lead in discovering novel applications of compiler technology within Cruise
What you must have:
- 5+ years of experience in the field of compiler design and 2+ years of experience with ML
- Experience with ML frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow) and software stack (e.g., MLIR, XLA, TVM, TensorRT, etc)
- Expertise in writing production quality C++ code
- Expertise in the software development life-cycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- GPU programming (CUDA) and familiarity with ML SW stack (e.g., cuDNN, cuBLAS)
- SIMD programming (avx2, neon)
- Experience with ML accelerators and hardware architecture
- Familiarity with parallelization techniques for ML acceleration
The salary range for this position is $193,900 - 285,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.