Sr. Data Scientist, Deep Learning, D^3 Institute
|Published||December 17, 2022|
|Location||Boston, United States of America|
Business, the global economy, and societies around the world are facing dramatic upheaval as a result of rapid technological change driven simultaneously by digitization, the application of artificial intelligence and machine learning to all facets of the company, and a new emphasis on the importance of design and innovation on value creation for stakeholders.
Harvard’s Digital Data, and Design Institute (D^3) formally launched in July 2022 with ten newly-minted labs that will provide cutting-edge research to focus on topics that address the way companies will operate in the digital society of the future, including: Business Model Transformation; Operating Model Transformation; Organizational and Workforce Transformation; Performance and Metrics; Data, Privacy, and Transparency; and Societal Impact. D^3 provides a new architecture for rigorous research, immersive learning, and cutting-edge practice. For more information on D^3, please visit https://d3.harvard.edu.
The Senior Data Scientist in Deep Learning will be a key member of the D^3 Data Science Team, working closely with Harvard Business School (HBS) faculty and D^3 Lab Managers on the use and analysis of data to make advancements in social science research related to business and management, digital transformation, data science and artificial intelligence.
The Senior Data Scientist in Deep Learning will report directly to the Data Science Practice Manager who will allocate and manage requests of the data science team. Given that social science data is heavily unstructured and contextual, we expect the Senior Data Scientist to have proven track record and experience in all forms of Deep Learning and NLP techniques and methodologies. The Senior Data Scientist will work with and analyze data that is collected from various activities in the field, shared from organizations, or retrieved from public sources. As the Institute is built to dynamically adapt and scale, we expect responsibilities will evolve over time. In addition, Data Scientists from across HBS are part of a vibrant community of practice where we share ideas and skills.
- Extract, clean, explore, and analyze data collected from various sources, including organizational data, public data and experimental data
- Work with the D^3 Data Science Team to design and execute data science and AI experiments with partner research organizations
- Create and implement models using methods such as NLP, Deep Learning, and Reinforcement Learning, to analyze both unstructured and structured data, extract insights and form a strategy.
- Develop quantitative prediction and classification models for social and natural science research using advanced algorithms in Neural Networks, BERT class of models, and Adversarial Neural Topic Modelling.
- Create and maintain of documentation of data files, modeling choices, rationale, and results • Present and explain data science methods and findings to faculty, managers and other non-technical stakeholders at D^3
- Provide mentorship of Data Scientists, Research Scientists, and post-doctoral fellows
- Troubleshoot complex problems and device a strategy of seeking solutions in collaboration with other Data Scientists
- Document and disseminate findings through publication of research papers and white papers
- Responsible for other duties as assigned
- Master’s in Data Science or a PhD in one of the following disciplines: Computational Sciences in either Physics, Biology, Neuroscience, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field is required
- 5+ years of experience in data science roles is required with strong background in analyzing unstructured data information retrieval and Sentiment analysis.
- Extensive experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SAS, etc.) with very strong background in machine learning techniques and packages in Deep Learning, and NLP methods such as Adversarial Neural Topic modeling, BERT models, transformer and Sequence models.
- Fluent in using Tensorflow, PyTorch, and Hadoop Predictive Model creation and implementation using Neural Network methods such as BERT models, Reinforcement Learning, LTSM models, RNNs, CNNs, Adversarial NN, variants of trees algorithms such as random forest, xgboost , and etc.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure and Google
- Hands on knowledge of database languages such as SQL and Data structure is a must
- Experience with spinning up and managing cloud databases is essential
- Experience in the development and deployment of models is required
- Experience in User Design/Interface (UX/UI) tools
Please note candidates with less experience may be considered for a lower salary grade (57) role.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects, stakeholders and demands
- Strong team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus 3 days per week. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. Please note that we will be conducting interviews virtually (phone and or Zoom) for selected candidates until further notice.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
A cover letter is required to be considered for this opportunity.
Harvard Business School will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences. Explore more about HBS work culture here https://www.hbs.edu/employment.
USA - MA - Boston
RS0058 Senior Researcher I
Digital, Data & Design (D^3) Institute
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.