Senior Manager of Data Science
|Published||March 2, 2023|
|Location||Dallas, United States of America|
Nav is democratizing small business financing. In other words, we give small business owners access and control. Yes, this challenges the norm, but it means working with curious, purpose driven, dedicated, and inquisitively smart people who push themselves, our company and the community to the next level (and every level after that). We are the people behind the tech. And when it’s good, we look for better. We don’t over think the value we bring nor spend time trying to revamp mantras. We also do not come up with some crafty way to tell you who we are and what we offer. We are Nav! Here, you’ll gain a wealth of experience, learn the tricks of the trade, and work with winners. All companies say people are connected to their mission but in our case our mission and our people are one – it is a way of being not just a cause you are committed to. And since 2013, Nav has holistically and organically developed its own ideology because Nav can only be Nav.
Join Nav as we build the leading SMB financial health platform on the market. As the Senior Manager of the Data Science team, you will help lead the data science vision and delivery roadmap to advance Nav's business.
- Own areas of the Data Science roadmap. Lead and contribute to projects on the Data Science roadmap to advance Nav’s business. Consult on projects of defined scope being performed by junior team members.
- Work with stakeholders to detail project design and timeline estimates. Understand business use cases and success criteria of each project.
- Identify strategic research components within a project and execute approved research. Push to extend the capabilities of the data science team.
- A demonstrated ability to translate business strategy and goals into optimal strategies and business requirements that are scalable, simple, customer-focused, and adaptable to unique and changing business needs.
- Perform all aspects of a machine learning model development including data analysis, feature engineering, modeling and evaluation of models.
- Provide updates to team members during team and project stand-ups. Update jira tickets with progress.
- Conduct code reviews of teammate’s work and follow best practices such as comments and unit tests.
- Ensure project documentation and organization of exhibits.
- Present work to stakeholders throughout the projects.
- Actively work to continually improve data science practices and processes.
- Identify data science tool needs and build out tools to enable the data science team as a whole.
- Mentor and guide junior team members.
- Lead and contribute to data science knowledge sharing sessions.
- 8+ years as a data scientist
- 3+ years with people management experience.
- Fluency in at least 1 programming language: Python, PySpark, R, Java.
- Experience with Git, Jira, AWS.
- Experience leading data science projects.
- Deep understanding of multiple model metrics and evaluation techniques.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders to understand business use cases and success criteria.
- Equally comfortable setting future-oriented strategy and vision as they are designing and delivering capabilities today.
- Can operate in a rapidly changing environment with a sense of urgency and a high level of intellectual curiosity and comfort with ambiguity.
- Ability to work with highly integrated systems and think holistically about solutions.
- A proven track record of prioritizing work appropriately to ensure alignment with success metrics and effectively communicate prioritization to stakeholders. You are able to determine when progress is not being made and suggest alternative approaches.
More about Nav
Inclusion at Nav:
At Nav, we celebrate what makes our employees unique because the businesses we serve are progressively diverse and distinctly original. Navericks are diverse, side hustlers, immigrants, veterans, queer, and we push generational boundaries. We are college dropouts, PhDs, special needs parents, allies, pet owners and community leaders. Navericks are human. We are committed to upholding a safe, supportive environment where everyone matters. We are committed to making a better future for all of us. We have created a workplace where people of all backgrounds can express their identities authentically. To put it simply, we want you to be proud to be you.
Our Compensation Philosophy is simple but powerful:
At Nav, we are transparent about our total rewards, including pay, across all levels and roles. We believe great, enduring relationships are grounded in trust and transparency. Compensation shouldn’t be a distraction, and employees should understand how pay and career advancement decisions are made. Providing equal pay for equal work is table stakes for being a great place to work. Gender and ethnic inequity should only be something that our children read about in history books. We believe providing Navericks with company ownership, competitive pay, and a range of meaningful benefits is the start of creating a culture where people want to give the best they’ve got — not because they’re simply making money, but because they’ve fallen in love with our vision, mission, values, and team.
During the interview process, our recruiter will be explaining how our rubrics work across all of our total rewards ( base, equity, bonus, perks, and benefit) offerings . The base salary for this role is targeted between $145K - $170K per year. Final offer amount is determined by your proficiencies within this level.
Our impact on you:
Competitive Pay. Company Ownership. Unlimited Vacation. Benefits Day One. 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave. Work From Anywhere (yes we were distributed before it was cool). Flexible Work Arrangements. Free Telehealth and Telemental Health For All Employees. Employee Networking and Events. Community Network Groups (women’s, PRIDE, culture). Meaningful Perks and Rewards. Learning and Development Opportunities. Pet Insurance.
A Naverick’s DNA:
- We look at the future and say “why not”; we see possibilities where others see problems or routines. We show the way ahead and are committed to achieving ambitious goals.
- We practice straight talk and listen generously to each other with empathy. We value different opinions and point of views. We ensure that we connect outside as well as inside to learn from others and inspire each other.
- We hold ourselves accountable for delivering results. We choose to not to be a victim of circumstance. We make decisions & take responsibility so that we can act & support each other, rather than adopting defensive, and “finger pointing” behaviors.
- As leaders we motivate & engage our teams to undertake beyond what they originally thought possible, by developing our teams & creating the conditions for people to grow and empower themselves through enabling & coaching.