|Published||February 17, 2023|
|Location||Kentucky, United States of America|
The Cloud Applied Artificial Intelligence (CAAI) team within Cloud Operations and Innovations Engineering (CO+IE) is seeking a passionate and talented Senior Applied Scientist. The CO+IE team provides scientific solutions to the CO+I organization, whose broad goals are to automate and optimize the planning, construction, operation and decommissioning of Microsoft Data Centers (DC) across the planet. CAAI’s mission is to identify and solve complex, high-impact problems that can augment and substantially improve CO+I operations and functions.
As an applied scientist within the CAAI team, the candidate will work in a role filled with ambiguity and opportunities. The candidate will be involved with identifying business impacting questions, generating vision statements, providing scientific consulting/analysis, and developing ML/AI based solutions to address these questions. The types of questions/problems that are likely to be encountered will require the derivation of insights from structured and unstructured data (e.g., unstructured text), and the use of a variety of techniques, algorithms and frameworks including but not limited to NLP, statistical learning, and operation research. As such, the ideal candidate will have experience with these technologies or be interested in/excited about learning and expanding their horizons. The candidate can also expect to collaborate with a team of talented applied scientists and software engineers to bring these solutions to life and substantially impact customer experience.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Partner with business leaders and CO+IE team to identify business impacting questions that can be best addressed through the infusion of data science and applied ML/AI.
- Develop vision statements that detail how business questions can be best solved.
- Develop scientific solutions to address business questions.
- Partner with CAAI teams (applied scientists, software engineers) and tech partners to bring solutions from prototype to successfully deployed products across Microsoft’s data centers.
- Bachelor's Degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related field AND 4+ years related experience (e.g., statistics predictive analytics, research)
- OR Master's Degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related field AND 3+ years related experience (e.g., statistics, predictive analytics, research)
- OR Doctorate in Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related field AND 1+ year(s) related experience (e.g., statistics, predictive analytics, research)
- OR 8+ years of equivalent professional work experience.
- 4+ years of work experience in applied data science and in deploying machine learning/deep learning models in production.
- 3+ years experience with Python or other scripting languages (e.g., R, or similar).
- Demonstrated ability to iterate on and to develop business impacting questions.
- Authoring peer reviewed articles or papers in journals, conferences that leverage data science, ML/AI.
- Strong software development, and SQL skills.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (e.g., demonstrated ability to present to different leadership levels, craft proposals).
- Familiarity with libraries such as Pandas, Keras, Pytorch, Scikit-learn etc.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Applied Sciences IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 - $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 - $238,600 per year.
Microsoft has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets (see below). The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role (except as noted below); the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases, annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with Microsoft and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and wellbeing benefits, among others. U.S.-based employees also receive, per calendar year, up to 10 scheduled paid holidays, and up to 80 hours Holistic Health Time Off. Additionally, hourly/non-exempt employees accrue up to 120 hours paid vacation time, and salaried/exempt employees have Discretionary Time Off (DTO).
Our Commitment to Pay Equity
We are committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. To learn more about pay equity and our other commitments to increase representation and strengthen our culture of inclusion, check out our annual Diversity & Inclusion Report. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/inside-microsoft/annual-report )
Understanding Roles at Microsoft
The top of this page displays the role for which the base pay ranges apply – Applied Sciences IC4.
The way we define roles includes two things: discipline (the type of work) and career stage (scope and complexity). The career stage has two parts – the first identifies whether the role is a manager (M), an individual contributor (IC), an admin-technician-retail (ATR) job, or an intern. The second part identifies the relative seniority of the role – a higher number (or later letter alphabetically in the case of ATR) indicates greater scope and complexity.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away