Research Engineer – HCI/ML
|Published||December 15, 2022|
|Location||Seattle, United States of America|
Changing the world through digital experiences is what Adobe’s all about. We give everyone—from emerging artists to global brands—everything they need to design and deliver exceptional digital experiences! We’re passionate about empowering people to create beautiful and powerful images, videos, and apps, and transform how companies interact with customers across every screen.
We’re on a mission to hire the very best and are committed to creating exceptional employee experiences where everyone is respected and has access to equal opportunity. We realize that new ideas can come from everywhere in the organization, and we know the next big idea could be yours!
We believe AI will revolutionize the next generation of creative tools, automating repetitive tasks while leaving creative agency with the user. This is your opportunity to join a world-class team of researchers, engineers, and software developers who are inventing the next generation of creative tools powered by machine learning. In this role you will work with a team at Adobe Research that incubates new product experiences at the intersection of ML, interaction, and video. You will use your versatile engineering skills and experience building interactive ML systems to code, test, maintain, and improve prototype and product releases.
What you’ll do:
- Write high-quality code with a team across the stack of web-based creative tools. We use TypeScript, React, and Node.js for full-stack web development, and Python for backend ML development.
- Write code across various stages of research development, from early prototyping and exploration (quick hypothesis testing) to building product releases (high-quality, efficient, robust code).
- Evaluate and integrate novel ML algorithms with an emphasis on the user experience. You will consider usability, explainability, robustness, and ML fairness.
- Carefully evaluate ML models. This may involve collecting datasets by designing tasks and guidelines for human judgment jobs to annotate media.
- Carefully document all experiments, failure cases, and outcomes.
- Build the next generation of creative tools with a multi-disciplinary team of extraordinary engineers and researchers. This is a “best of both worlds” opportunity where you’ll have the flexibility, scope, and personal impact of joining a startup, but also the deep resources, cool perks, and global launch stage that only an industry leader like Adobe can offer.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- A PhD in Computer Science or related field with a focus at the intersection of human-computer interaction and ML or computer vision.
- Interest and experience with creative tools.
- A strong record of solving challenging user problems demonstrated in scientific publications or other research output.
- Experience with both TypeScript and Python. A passion for high-quality software engineering.
- Experience working with teams and code review.
- Hand-on experience collecting and labeling datasets using human raters.
- Understanding of issues around ground truth and training/evaluation data for ML, including human judgment, A/B testing, and ML fairness.
- Ability to effectively and convincingly communicate ideas and objectives to audiences of all levels.