|Published||March 30, 2023|
We are looking for an electrical engineer, computer scientist, statistician or mathematician who is interested in pursuing a PhD on the intersection of Bayesian Machine Learning and Wireless Communications.
The successful candidate will work towards developing and analyzing intelligent autonomous systems (agents) for wireless networks. Such systems will be able to learn from previous experience (data), actively sense their surrounding environment, and quickly adapt to new conditions; with the goal of providing reliable communication services to mobile users, IoT devices, self-driving cars, and other intelligent agents. This will be achieved using tools from active inference and probabilistic (Bayesian) machine learning on the one hand, and communication and information theory on the other. The project entails system development, as well as rigorous theoretical analysis. The ideal candidate should be comfortable with, and willing to develop in, both.
Academic and Research Environment
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is one of Europe's top technological universities, situated in the heart of one of Europe's largest high-tech innovation ecosystems. Research at TU/e is characterized by a combination of academic excellence and a strong real-world impact. This impact is often obtained via close collaboration with high-tech industries.
The successful candidate will be part of both the Bayesian Intelligent Autonomous Systems (BIAS) lab as well as the Information and Communication Theory (ICT) lab. Both labs are situated within the Signal Processing Systems (SPS) group of the department of Electrical Engineering. The candidate will be jointly supervised by Dr. Wouter Kouw (BIAS Lab) and Dr. Hamdi Joudeh (ICT Lab).
The ideal candidate would have:
- A Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or closely related areas. The degree should be no older than three years, and excellent grades are required.
- A strong mathematical background and an affinity to theoretical research.
- Good programming skills (Python, MATLAB).
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal) is necessary. If you have written an MSc thesis (or published a scientific paper) in English, please send it along.
- A team player attitude (i.e., is happy to communicate and collaborate).
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it’s like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
For more information about the advertised position, please contact
dr. Wouter Kouw (w.m.kouw[at]tue.nl) or dr. Hamdi Joudeh (h.joudeh[at]tue.nl).
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation for research and suitability for the position.
- A proof of proficiency in English and academic writing (MSc thesis, or scientific paper).
- A Curriculum Vitae listing your education and professional experience.
- Copies of diplomas with course grades (transcripts).
We look forward to your application.
We will screen your application as soon as possible and the vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.