|Published||March 18, 2023|
SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
The successful candidate will join the UBIX Research Group, led by Prof. Raphaël Frank. More specifically, you will contribute to a partnership project with Motion-S (www.motion-s.com), a mobility data analytics company. The topic of the project is “Predictive Maintenance for Vehicles”. The goal of the project is to do predictive analysis of both historical connected car and maintenance data for a relevant number of vehicles, with the goal of producing several predictive models for individual components and assessing the car wear as a whole. Moreover, the project will consider a set of mechanisms to allow continuous learning and improvement of the models based on live data. The project is held in close collaboration with Motion-S and, as the successful candidate, you will be expected to spend an appreciable amount of your time in their premises located in the southeast of Luxembourg (Mondorf-Les-Bains).
The supervision team you will be working with is:
- Raphaël Frank, Senior Research Scientist at SnT
- Sasan Jafarnejad, CTO at Motion-S
- Andres Petrillo, CEO at Motion-S
You will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Carrying out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminating results through scientific publications
- Identifying potential intellectual property assets and supporting the project stakeholders on the intellectual property protection process (e.g., patents)
- Communicate and interact with the partner’s team to collect requirements and report results
- Implement proof-of-concept software tools
Qualification: The candidate should possess an MSc degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics (with a background in Computer Science).
Experience: The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and/or experience in a number of the following topics (ordered by importance):
- Machine learning
- Data Analytics & Statistics
- Car networks and car data
- Embedded systems
- Distributed systems
Strong analytical and programming skills are required (Python and C/C++). Prior proven experience in data-driven innovation projects is an asset. Most importantly, you should be curiosity driven and willing to constantly learn new things!
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. French, German or Luxembourgish is a plus.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Employee and student status
- Location: Kirchberg
- Job Reference: UOL05179
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 38979 (full time)
How to apply
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Full CV, including:
- For each degree received or currently enrolled in, the degree, institution name, city, and country, and date (or expected date) of graduation
- Title and short summary of final thesis
- List of publications (if any)
- Name, affiliation, and contact details of at least two recommenders
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (500 words)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact: email@example.com