|Published||May 2, 2023|
|Location||Summit, United States of America|
Job DescriptionWorking with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Modeling and Data Scientist – Engineering Technology Group
The Modeling team is part of BMS’ Engineering Technology group where we apply and develop state-of-the-art capabilities in predictive science, computational modeling, and AI/ML solutions to improve patient’s lives. We partner with internal stakeholders to drive analytic and modeling capabilities, accelerating business insights to enable decision making and advance our portfolio. We accomplish this through a focus on the use of data by collaborating seamlessly with internal teams across the globe and with the external scientific and regulatory communities. The modeling and data scientist is a very important role to advance predictive data analyses strategies, and innovative methods generating valuable insights using internal and external data sources. The modeling and data scientist will provide technical leadership in maximizing the value in big data and analytics capabilities. This will enable the teams to leverage historical pharmaceutical material property knowledge to highlight and mitigate process and product related risks. The selected candidate will work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment as the competitive landscape and data strategies keep changing rapidly.
- Contribute to on-going portfolio projects within multiple therapeutic areas
- Develop and implement innovative data science techniques to extract knowledge and value from big datasets by applying the latest machine learning and AI algorithms
- Design, develop, and perform advanced computational techniques to understand the impact of process variables, molecular and material properties on products attributes
- Work with ML scientists and material scientists to guide the development of our predictive models
- Demonstrate independent thinking by proposing and implementing new experimental designs and concepts (e.g. Data Rich Experimentation)
- Create prototypes, predictive models, and demonstrations to help articulate the value of insights for advancing science and the business
- Keep abreast of relevant literature and maintain a high level of expertise in own field such as digitalization and Pharma 4.0 mindset
- Proactively promote an open attitude towards new technologies and a culture towards a Lab-of-the-Future mindset
- Ensure integration of new technologies (e.g. Digitalization, Automation, PAT) and department initiatives into daily work to enhance productivity
- Conceptualize approaches, identify capability gaps, and set goals within drug product design
- Communicate and present results to an interdisciplinary team of experimental, modeling scientist and machine learning colleagues at company meetings and strategic program readouts
- Work with external partners (e.g., universities, research organizations) and vendors (e.g., software companies) to execute and deliver well-defined modeling projects
- Ensure compliances with all regulations and policies and perform all work in a safe manner
- Maintain proper records (electronic notebooks, batch sheets, etc.) per relevant SOPs
- Prepare and present research in top-leading journals or conferences
- Maintain a well-documented, reusable codebase, and traceable model history
- Education Minimum Requirement: PhD with 0-5 years of experience and achieved a PhD in computational science & engineering, applied mathematics, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering and/or materials science & engineering or a related quantitative discipline preferred
- Relevant experience includes:
- Research experience in the field of AI/ML, QSAR, engineering and computational modeling techniques (e.g., parallel computing, finite element modeling, discrete element method, computational fluid dynamics, flowsheet modeling, statistical techniques, population-balance models, and first-principles engineering models)
- Ability to build and manage models to predict future outcomes using data that is often incomplete and/or imperfect and contained in disparate source
- Proficiency in Python (or other scientific programming such as SAS, R or SQL) to curate and analyze historical and data at scale and to implement new metrics
- Data analysis experience with heterogeneous data types and familiarity of big data, analytics and/or data mining environments; Ability to identify trends, identify outliers and find patterns
- In collaboration with scientific and business partners, able to develop hypotheses and test them with careful experiments
- Experience with data visualization tool (e.gs., R, DASH, Spotfire, Tableau)
- Experience with statistical tool and model (e.gs. PCA, ANOVA, Minitab, JMP)
- Working knowledge of key pharmaceutical unit operations both in drug substance and drug product including, but not limited to, crystallization, mixing, milling, granulation (wet and dry), encapsulation, tablet compression, and coating
- Ability to perform in-depth data analysis and present results and conclusions to product development and leadership teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong documentation skills
- Examples of your work, such as GitHub repository or publications that can showcase your skill
- Experience working in a cloud environment and using cloud-based services is desirable
- Experience in cheminformatic, sequence-based analysis methods, and natural language processing/text mining and/or exposure
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks and/or Shiny applications
- Familiarity with a variety of material characterization and Process Analytical Technology (PAT) tools
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.