Masters Intern – Visa Research
|Published||February 18, 2023|
|Location||Austin, United States of America|
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
As an Intern for Visa Research, you will participate in implementation of a research project in the Visa Research group. In this role, you will drive innovations by introducing technologies, methods, and solutions to deliver solution that will eventually contribute to a Visa product or introduce efficiencies to Internal Visa processes.
You will drive innovation from ideation to implementation. The innovation will build on the machine learning, artificial intelligence and big data research. You will research and develop seamless, fast, reliable and secure payment solutions using foundational and applied research techniques. You will, in many cases, interact with different stake holders, senior executives, research scientists, software engineers and architects and You will discover and propose research and development opportunities, create development plan, execute and implement the ideas.
You will be integral part of Visa Research team. You will have the opportunity to influence the long-term vision for the payment industry and influence the direction of the research and development across Visa.
Key responsibilities include:
• Implement research problem solutions with prototype and early product by collaborating with other scientists, software architects and engineers
• Provide technical leadership for efforts around tooling and infrastructure that enable teams to efficiently complete and maintain various projects. Partner with teams on modeling and analysis problems—from transforming problem statements into analysis problems
• Collaborate with research scientists, product owners and architects to improve the fast-prototyping platform (s).
• Conduct business and technical analysis, code reviews and unit testing, and implement and produce technical documentation of research solutions for new development and/or system enhancements
• Work and partner with product delivery teams to fully implement the proof of concept and early product in Visa services and products
• Present and demo the research solutions to a committee on the regular basis
• Work with IP team to identify patent-able ideas in the research, as well as publication opportunities
• Champion the innovation across the organizations and industries as an expert in the subject, either by providing consulting or by contributing to technology talks and presentations
• Continue to learn about the payments and technologies in Visa and across industries
• Facilitate design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
• Facilitate code reviews with team members and third-party vendors. Review and assess impact of proposed scope changes on assigned deliverable(s).
• Present technical solutions, capabilities, considerations, and features in business terms. Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner.
• Make decision on complex tradeoffs/priority during the design and execution, such as tradeoff between performance and flexibility, scope and timelines, availability and scalability, etc.
Past intern projects have included:
• Framework for Fairness in AI
• CBDC SNAP-like Payments in Offline Domain
• Scaling Private Set Intersection (PSI) on Big Data Frameworks (Spark)
• Collaborative Data Science using Multi Party Computation (MPC)
• Distributed Hyperparameter Optimization Techniques
• ML Feature computation framework with Spark
• Prototype for detecting Enumeration attacks
Flex Work Arrangement - Hybrid Position - This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• Pursuing a Master in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, CIS/MIS, Data Science,
Cryptography, Cybersecurity, Business or a related field, graduating December 2023 or later
• Strong communications skills, specifically, the absence of repeated grammatical or typographical
errors, clear and concise written and spoken communications, and communications that
demonstrate professional judgment.
• Work experience and/or academic background in one of these areas : AI/machine learning, Secure
multi-party computing (MPC), Blockchain, Identity, Authentication, Advance cryptography
• Experience programming in at least one or more in Java, Python, Scala and Go
• Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures
• Hands-on experience and/or academic background partnering with research scientists and can
speak knowledgeably about the design choices, algorithms, and software tools
• Hands-on experience and/or academic background translating problem statements into
corresponding solution design, infrastructure, or workflow needs
• Very strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication
(both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise way
• Fast learner in new technologies
• Experience and/or academic background in working of large scale of distributed and hybrid system,
and/or large datasets is a plus
• Knowledge and experience working on Single Page Applications development, RESTful services,
SQL and NoSQL databases in agile environment is a plus
• Publications or presentation in recognized computing journals/conferences is a plus
• Payments industry experience/understanding is a plus
• Applicable for AI/machine learning area
o Experience and/or academic background building and Supporting Scalable and reliable data solutions and AI/machine learning powered systems that can enable fast prototyping and advanced
analytics using modern big data and ML/AI technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Cloud, No-SQL, TensorFlow, H2O etc.) in an agile manner
o Hands-on experience and/or academic background developing systems for the machine learning lifecycle: data preprocessing and feature extraction, model training and evaluation, and deployment and monitoring
o Familiarity with the associated open-source ecosystem (e.g., mlflow, cortex, seldon, Kubeflow, tfx) is a plus
• Applicable for Non - AI/machine learning areas
o Hands-on experience and/or academic background in understanding of basic security concepts
(EX: Cryptography, PKI, Key Management, OAuth/SAML, IPSec/TLS, MPC, Blockchains, etc).
o Familiarity with basic mobile application development (Android or iOS) is a plus.
o Familiarity with native code implementation (C/C++) is a plus.
U.S. APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position is $35/hr to $37/hr USD, which may include potential sales incentive payments (if applicable). Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position may be eligible for bonus and equity. Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position may be eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
U.S. APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position is $35 to $37/hr USD, which may include potential sales incentive payments (if applicable). Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position may be eligible for bonus and equity. Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position may be eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.