|Published||January 25, 2023|
|Location||Minnesota, United States of America|
For over 50 years, AeroVironment has been a leader in advanced technologies and diverse innovations that have redefined how the world drives, flies, and connects.
We created MacCready Works Advanced Solutions, named for our founder, Dr. Paul B. MacCready, Jr., to ensure that creativity and long-term thinking remain at the core of our culture. With a focus on the future, this group of select, visionary scientists and engineers partner with our customers to explore breakthrough technologies that open new, more powerful ways to tackle difficult challenges. Together, they research and develop advanced technologies in robotics, sensors, software analytics and connectivity to identify innovative solutions that push beyond the current applications. These revenue-generating projects significantly contribute to the growth of the company and stretch our imaginations to spawn new inventions.
Once conceptualized, we can apply these new technologies to other projects, keeping us and our customers at the forefront of cutting-edge innovation. We are currently working on tomorrow’s solutions by creating highly autonomous, mission-centered products that operate jointly across multiple domains, and position our customers at the leading edge of interconnected systems.
We are here to tackle the impossible…without hesitation.
We are looking for Machine Learning Engineers to join the Learning and Active Perception (LEAP) group in AV’s MacCready Works division and develop a variety of innovative computer vision detection, classification, localization, and tracking solutions for defense and commercial applications. These development efforts will require a range of skills and tools across traditional engineering, computer science, and mathematical disciplines including computer vision, machine learning, optimization, deep convolutional neural networks, and visual tracking. This position will work on a variety of stages of development including requirements definition, concept design, prototyping, detailed design, test and evaluation, and validation and verification testing.
- Support development of computer vision and machine learning (ML) algorithms capable of detection, classifying, localizing, and tracking objects of interest from a variety of stationary and mobile sensor platforms
- Implement ML algorithms and validate designs through a series of purpose-designed experiments
- Analyze ML algorithms to solve a given problem and rank them by their success probability on new data
- Set objectives and develop models that help achieve them, along with metrics to track their progress
- Select appropriate datasets and data representations
- Analyze errors of the model and design strategies to overcome them
- Write and test software to support the integration of machine learning algorithms into aircraft (such as autopilots, payloads, or other functional components) or other systems
- Other duties as assigned
We are pipelining for Engineers with various level of experience:
- Machine Learning Engineer I with a minimum of 1+ years of relevant experience
- Machine Learning Engineer II with a minimum of 2+ years of relevant experience
- Machine Learning Engineer III with a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience
- Sr. Machine Learning Engineer with a minimum of 8+ years of relevant experience
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- Bachelor of Science in any of the following fields: Computer Science/Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related Science or Engineering discipline
- Relevant experience in in machine learning and/or computer vision
- Familiarity with C/C++ or Python required
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex systems
- Proficiency with a deep learning framework such as TensorFlow or Keras
- Proficiency with basic libraries for machine learning such as scikit-learn and pandas
- Proficiency with OpenCV
- Familiarity with Linux
- Visualizing and manipulating big datasets
- Exploratory data analysis
- Predictive analytics
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Familiarity with office software and computer-based productivity tools
- Ability to work within defined requirements to complete tasks under moderate supervision
- Must be a team player and collaborate effectively
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Has effective problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives
- Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
- Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
- Focuses on teamwork and puts the success of the team above one's own interests
- Ability to work in an office environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
- AV Work Locations: Minneapolis, MN & Arlington, VA
This is a pipeline requisition posted in advance of approved headcount for future hiring needs.
Note: Our team is always interested in speaking with exceptional candidates though please note this is a Pipeline posting with more of an eye towards our future needs rather than necessarily being an immediate hire. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.