|Published||May 19, 2023|
|Location||New York, United States of America|
The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Blend to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them. We ask that our team members be physically located in Central European time or Eastern Standard/Daylight time zones for the purposes of our collaboration hours.
Home is the default screen in the Spotify app, surfacing the best of what Spotify has to offer, including music and podcasts for every situation, personalized playlists, new releases, old favorites, and undiscovered gems. The Home Personalization Product Area consists of several teams that are focused on matching users to compelling audio content, by combining our broad content catalog with machine learning personalization technologies. To do this, we rely on a deep understanding of our user’s listening habits and tastes. Our 500M+ listeners generate over 10 billion interaction events every day, which our machine learning models use to suggest recommendations to suit every situation and intent. We are looking for an Engineering Manager with experience in machine learning, data, and backend engineering to support our engineers as they build and maintain highly scalable services that drive the personalization of the Home tab of Spotify. In this role, you will lead a team of Engineers, and will collaborate with a product manager and other partners to define and shape product roadmap and technical strategy. You will also be responsible for the individual growth and organizational health of your team.
What You'll Do
- Manage a team building real-world recommendation systems for 500M+ monthly Spotify customers
- Help Spotify improve its business by recommending Music on Home using innovative ML systems
- Collaborate with product, design and insights partners to create a roadmap, define success metrics and deliver products
- Influence the technical design and architecture of our stack. Support your team in developing scalable and reliable systems
- Lead other efforts that fit your passion and Spotify’s needs
Who You Are
- You understand the value of a diverse workforce. You have a demonstrated track record of moving tech orgs closer to representing the world we live in; you build teams with these values
- You have strong mentorship and coaching skills, and thrive when helping individuals and teams perform to their full potential
- You have demonstrated the ability to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-efficient recommendation systems for large scale (100M+) consumer applications
- You are able to distill complex information into easy-to-understand concepts, and understand how to lead a team through ambiguity
- You stay up-to-date with the state-of-the-art technology in machine learning
- You have managed teams and individuals for a minimum of 2+ years
Where You'll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard Time zone for collaboration and ask that all team members be located in that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
The United States base range for this position is $170,045.00- $242,921.00 plus equity. The benefits available for this position include health insurance, six month paid parental leave, 401(k) retirement plan, monthly meal allowance, 23 paid days off, 13 paid flexible holidays. This range encompasses multiple levels. Leveling is determined during the interview process. Placement in a level depends on relevant work history and interview performance. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.