|Published||January 22, 2023|
|Location||Houston, United States of America|
At NRG, we're bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
NRG is looking for a talented Machine Learning Engineer to develop Python packages to streamline our analytics work; enable common, scalable analytical computing environments on demand; and deploy our reports and predictive models into production. This position is part Software Engineer, part DevOps Engineer, and part Data Engineer. This individual will work within a functionally organized Data and Analytics group with support from IT, Data Engineering and Governance, Business Intelligence, and Product Management. Its scope encompasses electricity and gas contracts, plant operations, trading, and energy services. The role will be part of an Agile team doing design, coding, code reviews and requirements gathering.
- Develop custom Python packages to help our analysts connect to various data sources; provide convenient methods of joining and transforming data in ways common to our workflow
- Prepare a common analytics environment that analysts can deploy on demand via on premise resources or Amazon Web Services, and access via Jupyter Notebooks
- Automate data pipelines
- Convert Data Science models to scalable and repeatable solutions in production
- Manage Docker containers
- Manage Git Repositories
- Manage AWS Cloud Infrastructure
- Degree (BS, MS, or PhD) in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Information Systems. Alternatively, eight or more years of professional development experience
- 2+ years of professional Python software design and development
- Experience with Spark a plus
- Linux administration experience a plus
- 2+ years administering an open source database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Proficient with the following Python packages: SQLAlchemy, flask, pandas, sphinx, and pytest
- Automating jobs on AWS a plus
- Experience with AWS SageMaker: including building containers for custom algorithms
- Experience with Apache Airflow
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Retail electricity or gas experience
- Comfortable working in Linux
- Experience with Git
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (Gitlab-ci, Ansible, Jenkins, or equivalent)
- Strong data background including knowledge of 3NF, star schema, and NoSQL database designs
- Experience with digital personalization, next best action, or decisioning engines
- Ability to learn and apply new quantitative techniques quickly and appropriately
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex analytics results
- Ability to identify practical business implications
- Good communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Occasional overtime work may be required.
- Hybrid role. Time split between remote (from home) and in an open office environment with cubical hoteling in Houston.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster(The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources