Internship Opportunity: Future of Work –Collaboration in Hybrid Blended Reality Spaces
|Published||February 1, 2023|
|Location||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
The Microsoft Cambridge UK Blended Reality Encounters and Workflows (BREW) workstream is seeking an intern to explore opportunities around collaboration in hybrid blended reality encounters.
Enabling collaboration in hybrid encounters between remote and on-site participants will be one of the keys to productivity in the new future of work. This internship will explore one of several potential issues related to collaboration in hybrid encounters, including envisioning the value of Large Language Models (LLMs) in enabling these scenarios. We are interested in hybridity along several dimensions, including participant location (remote + collocated) and their technological endpoints (e.g. participants in VR interacting with participants in a standard 2D computing medium). The actual project to be carried out will depend on the balance of the intern’s skills. The expected output of this internship will be:
- A working prototype that demonstrates novel interaction techniques to achieve collaboration for hybrid blended reality spaces,
- The opportunity for a publication in proceedings for relevant academic venues such as CHI, DIS, IEEE VR, or other venue / journal preferred by and relevant to the intern, and
- An internal white paper or document with design guidelines and best practices.
- Enrolled in at least a Masters program (PhD preferred) in Computer Science, HCI, or Design at the time of the internship (Summer 2023).
Required Skills and Experience
- Research and/or design envisioning, demonstrated though publications and/or a portfolio
- There is a strong preference for work on collaboration and/or communication technology issues, preferably in VR / AR / MR or video-mediated communication.
- Prototyping skills using C# and Unity.
- Experience with or strong interest in using ML algorithms for HCI projects, including LLMs.
- Methodological skills may be qualitative AND/OR quantitative
- Qualitative: Conversation Analysis, Interaction Analysis, Ethnographic observation or interviews, Research through Design, etc.
- Quantitative: Experimental and/or Survey design and analysis.
- Synthesising research literature.
- Research management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience prototyping spatial computing contexts (VR, MR) using a Unity-based workflow.
- Experience working with Computer Vision projects, e.g. 3D reconstruction using multiple RGBD data streams, feature and / or semantic scene recognition through RGB data streams.
- Prototyping experience for multiplayer scenarios (e.g. Unity + PUN2, WebRTC, Microsoft Mesh SDK etc).
Timing and location
- This is a 12-week internship. The starting date is negotiable in 2023 based on availability. Most internships are conducted over the UK summer.
- The candidate should ideally be able to work in the Cambridge UK office for the duration of the internship, although other arrangements might be negotiable as long as the candidate stays in the UK.
Sean Rintel (firstname.lastname@example.org), Principal Researcher and
Payod Panda (email@example.com), Design Engineering Researcher
Blended Reality Encounters and Workflows
Future of Work
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Giving programs
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services