Intern – Visa Research (PhD)
|Published||December 29, 2022|
|Location||Palo Alto, United States of America|
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
Visa Research is a growing group within Visa. We are located in the Palo Alto a stones throw away from the some of the best restaurants in the area as well as CalTrain station and Stanford. The team itself is highly collaborative, working together not only on projects and research but also known to go hiking and have lunch together.
Visa Research is a newly created research organization as part of the company's effort on expanding its technology research capabilities globally. We conduct both applied and fundamental research while engaging with the company's technology and product teams, business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that are critical to the payments industry in the future.
Currently, we focus on building research teams in key areas: Data Analytics, Security, and Future of Payment(Blockchain), and Artificial Intelligence. We are looking for outstanding researchers and engineers at all levels of experience as part of the growing team!
Our mission at the Data Analytics team is to unlock the hidden value in these massive high-quality financial data, and decode the language of transactions to drive innovation in the payment industry and beyond. We conduct applied research in machine learning and related fields to deliver unique insights and capabilities to our partners and clients to help them grow their businesses. Our research areas include deep learning applications in financial data, supervised and unsupervised representation learning, predictive modeling for fraud and risk management, consumer behavior modeling, recommendation systems, scalable machine learning systems, privacy preserving data analytics, and related fields.
Visa Research’s goal of security is to enable policy-enforced, full lifecycle protection for data at rest, in transit and during computation for all payment-related scenarios. We accomplish this through fundamental and applied research in three areas:
- Advances in Cryptography
- Distributed and Endpoint Systems Security
- Secure Data Acquisition and Analysis
Our Blockchain research focuses on understanding the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies and Blockchain technology. We explore ways to advance the science of Blockchain technology and enable the discovery of real-world payment. We collaborate with top universities and the world’s leading Blockchain researchers to develop technologies that promise to transform the financial industry in the decade ahead.
For additional information on the work Visa is doing and our team please visit our website at:https://usa.visa.com/about-visa/visa-research.html
- Currently Pursuing a PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, or related field, graduating December 2023 or later
There are many skills and research areas we are eager to explore, but we do require that our interns have at least one semester/quarter left of school following their internship.
- Strong track record in research and impact in the research community in highly reputed journals and conferences through multiple publications, patents and/or presentations at conferences!
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an eagerness to collaborate with members of your team as well as other Visa teams.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Experience in payments or related industry is strongly valued and something you should highlight on your resume!
- AI/Data Analytics: Proficiency with object oriented programming languages, such as C++, Java, Python, and Lua. Experience with large scale data processing using Hadoop and MapReduce. Also, research experience in Trustworthy, Ethical, or Fairness AI.
- Security: Experience in one or more of the following areas: mobile and distributed systems/cloud computing security, protocols and network security, cryptography and cryptanalysis, payments and cryptocurrencies, data and application security, malware and program analysis, user and data privacy, assurance and formal methods, and related fields.
- Blockchain: Research experience in Cryptocurrencies, Blockchain, Distributed Database, In-memory Database, data security algorithms. Proficiency with object oriented programming languages, such as Go, Haskell, Scala, Java and Python.
U.S. APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position is $53/hr to $58/hr USD, which may include potential sales incentive payments (if applicable). Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position may be eligible for bonus and equity. Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position may be eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.