|Published||February 13, 2023|
Technical data function
Location: Cours Saint-Michel 60, 1040 Etterbeek
Up to 100% remote work (after onboarding) after alignment with the team
Work Schedule & duration: to be determined based on internship program of university
Lunch and travel allowance of €7.50 per day worked
Your role & work environment
We are looking for an Intern Data Scientist to join ING. This team is at the heart of ING and its systems and algorithms are involved in the large scale of customer interactions. Your eagerness to learn is not only visible in the technical areas but also in how you develop your interpersonal skills. As a creative and curious Intern Data Scientist, you are looking forward to solving a wide variety of real-world business problems, and learn concrete skills along the way. On top of this, you are currently following a master level cursus in data science, machine learning, computational intelligence or related field.
Machine learning, personalization, and analytics are at the core of what we do. We are looking for motivated student in the field of data science to help us build the next generation of customer interaction experience at ING while themselves learning about the job by doing it. Sounds interesting? Please read further.
Your key responsibilities
- You will receive the full onboarding to our tooling, and continuous support of a medior/senior data scientist to enable you to achieve the best impact for yourself and ING during your internship
- You’re always thinking one step ahead, for example in advising about the best way of implementation.
- You are able to look at things from a different perspective and you are keen on making original solutions work in real-life. Next, to being creative, you are also persistent.
- If the problem is hard to crack or a technical solution hard to introduce, you keep trying different approaches until you succeed.
- You enjoy working in cross-functional teams with ambitious goals, asking fellow team members for assistance, but also helping them out by sharing your knowledge and capabilities.
- You have solid communication skills that enable you to work together with many different parties throughout our organization.
- Your enthusiasm and passion are contagious, mobilizing people to capture the tremendous value that Data Science brings to customers of ING.
We look for
A colleague with a talent for taking it on and making it happen, enthusiasm for helping others to be successful and a knack for always being a step ahead. In other words, you strive to bring fresh ideas to life and embrace challenges in a fast changing and complex environment. You are a naturally collaborative person who listens and invests in others to achieve common goals. You love to challenge the status quo and are eager to propose creative solutions to problems.
As an Intern Data Scientist you will also need:
- You are currently following a master in a field related to data science.
- You speak English fluently and can follow technical discussions around data science in that language. French and Flemish competencies are extra nice to have.
- You have excellent academic results so far in your studies.
- Knowledge or even experience in working in an Agile/Scrum way would be great.
- Machine Learning: Deep Learning, Classification, Regression, Clustering, Text Mining. You have an excellent understanding of Neural Networks, Random Forests, Logistic Regression, SVM, KNN, K-Means, LDA, etc. Knowledge of data governance and model validation is a nice to have.
- Programming Languages and Tools: Python, Git, IDE (e.g. PyCharm), Shell scripting or similar. Web development is a nice to have.
- Analytics tooling: PySpark, Hadoop, SQL, Netezza, Jupyter Notebook or similar. Working with Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, Tensorflow) is a nice to have.
- Analytical and content strength (in DS work field): sees which DS techniques apply to the business problem at hand, able to structure the approach and a good programmer
- Willingness to learn: open to feedback and development on both technical and interpersonal levels
- Perseverance: does not give up when a problem is demanding, knows how to deal with setbacks
- Strong communication skills: written and spoken English needs to be convincing. Active on social media about data science is a nice to have.
- Entrepreneurial skills: takes the responsibility and makes it happen
- Enthusiasm: has a great level of enthusiasm to inspire others
- A direct interview to evaluate your current level of analytical and problem-solving skills will be part of the recruitment process.
We offer you
A clear purpose, a unique offer and a range of flexible compensation and other benefits:
- Personal growth & challenging work with endless opportunities to realize your ambitions
- An informal, dynamic environment with innovative colleagues supporting your endeavors
- A progressive and agile way of working, where new ideas are valued ahead of convention
A hybrid way of working
- We give the autonomy to our employees to let them organize their work in a flexible way that suits best for them while ensuring business continuity, customer service and employee wellbeing.
Furthermore, within the Digital & Customer Interactions department, you can count on a range of opportunities to invest in your personal and professional growth with:
- Ambition to become the best Data Scientist team (in Banking)
- Great mix in strategic, operational & entrepreneurial assignments
- Personal growth and challenging work with the needed support of medior to senior data scientist having worked the jobs for multiple years already
We redefine banking. What about you?
We’re on a journey that’s centered around our customers, powered by technology and driven by smart, determined people. Our customers feel our people are empowering them to stay a step ahead in life and in business. We’re proud of that!