|Published||December 5, 2022|
|Location||Albuquerque, United States of America|
WHAT YOUR JOB WILL BE LIKE:
We are seeking a Summer Intern- R&D Undergraduate to join our dynamic team!
We are seeking students who want to have a career using their math, analytics, and computer science skills. We are focused on developing the next generation of analytics, algorithms, and tools for national security applications. Skills used in the internship are math, analytics and data science, including machine learning and artificial intelligence, but work is almost always dedicated to applied research and development in one or more of Sandia’s many mission areas. An R&D mentality, strong computer science skills, and proficiency in at least one programming language will ensure success in this internship.
- Research new data science algorithms and techniques to solve challenging problems
- Integrate new algorithms into production code
- Help define the scope of a problem and find possible solutions
- Analyze diverse data sources for a variety of missions spaces (cyber, text, geospatial, inertial) to provide and validate answers for our sponsors
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
QUALIFICATIONS WE REQUIRE:
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in the spring term immediately preceding the internship (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizen, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
QUALIFICATIONS WE DESIRE:
- Experience in at least one programming language (i.e. Java, Python, C/C++)
- GPA of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Working knowledge and understanding of an engineering or science-related field, such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other relevant STEM disciplines
- R&D experience including project work, technical presentations and/or publications
ABOUT OUR TEAM:
In Mission Analytics Group, we identify and collect mission needs, share them with researchers inside and outside the labs, collaborate and invest in research, integrate coherent capabilities, and partner with Sandia programs to transition successful research into mission applications. Our primary mission is to seek, pursue, and assess adversaries in different kinds of data and spaces. We also provide analytics capability to support Sandia's National Security Programs and partner broadly across Sandia to collaborate on critical programmatic opportunities where analytics are needed. We are successful when detailed capabilities provide a groundbreaking advantage to the nation through improved decisions, behaviors, and outcomes. The current strengths of this group are in computer science, software development, software engineering, applied statistics, applied mathematics, and machine learning. National security challenges require that we become specialists in cross-domain analytics addressing the phenomenal diversity of data types and decision spaces of our sponsors in a coordinated fashion. We continue to grow into this broader problem set.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico need to pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a clearance, a pre-processing background review may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance need to be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Members of the workforce (MOWs) hired at Sandia who require uncleared access for greater than 179 days during their employment, are required to go through the Uncleared Personal Identity Verification (UPIV) process. Access includes physical and/or cyber (logical) access, as well as remote access to any NNSA information technology (IT) systems. UPIV requirements are not applicable to individuals who require a DOE personnel security clearance for the performance of their SNL employment or to foreign nationals. The UPIV process will include the completion of a USAccess Enrollment, SF-85 (Questionnaire for Non-Sensitive Positions) and OF-306 (Declaration of for Federal Employment). An unfavorable UPIV determination will result in immediate retrieval of the SNL issued badge, removal of cyber (logical) access and/or removal from SNL subcontract. All MOWs may appeal the unfavorable UPIV determination to DOE/NNSA immediately. If the appeal is unsuccessful, the MOW may try to go through the UPIV process one year after the decision date.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Job ID: 685941