Intern – Applied Research
|Published||February 28, 2023|
|Location||San Jose, United States of America|
Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY, is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Group Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony's principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Music Publishing and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. With some 900 million Sony devices in hands and homes worldwide today, a vast array of Sony movies, television shows and music, and the PlayStation Network, Sony creates and delivers more entertainment experiences to more people than anyone else on earth. To learn more: www.sony.com/en.
Sony Corporation of America currently has an opening for an Applied Research Intern in our R&D US Lab located in San Jose, CA. This position is responsible for research and development in the area of 3D data compression, machine learning, computer vision, computer graphics, and image/video processing with emphasis on innovation for advancing the state-of-the-art technology.
Focus includes but not limited to contribution in the International Standards Bodies for the development of next generation 3D data processing and compression technologies
This individual will work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors and demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
· Currently enrolled in a PhD (preferred) or Master program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
· Research background in the area of 3D/2D compression, machine learning, computer vision, computer graphics, or image/video processing
· Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
· Good familiarity with C++ and Python programming languages
· Familiarity with 3D codec standards, such as the international standards for point cloud compression (V-PCC and G-PCC), is a plus
· Working experience with current state-of-the-art research topics on machine leaning tools for 3D computer vision and/or compression applications is a plus
· Familiarity with machine learning frameworks, such as pyTorch and Tensorflow, is a plus
· Ability to work independently and/or in a team environment
· Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
· Publication record
· Knowledge of video and 3D data compression
· Research and assess current technologies
· Perform feasibility studies to validate capability and functionality
· Create and study new concepts
· Document all phases of research and development.
· Draft and submit intellectual property as required
· Draft and submit professional articles for technical journals as required
· Determine and resolve application issues and bugs
Remote work can be considered. All candidates must be authorized to work in the USA.
The target hourly rate for this internship is $45.00 per hour. The individual will be paid hourly and eligible for overtime.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, military status, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or family status, genetic information, medical condition, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, ordinance, or regulation.
Disability Accommodation for Applicants to Sony Corporation of America
Sony Corporation of America provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. For reasonable accommodation requests, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Sony Corporation of America, Human Resources Department, 25 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010. Please indicate the position you are applying for.
Right to Work (English/Spanish)
E-Verify Participation (English/Spanish)
While SCA does not require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, there are certain Sony offices that require employees to be vaccinated in order to enter. If you will be located at or travel to those offices, you will be required to be fully vaccinated to enter. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations for documented medical reasons and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law. Please do not include proof of vaccination status or any indication of a possible request for a vaccination accommodation when submitting your application materials. If applicable, the Company will follow up with you directly to request proof of vaccination and to discuss any potential accommodations.