|Published||November 17, 2022|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
About the role:
Leading a team of three deep learning engineers, we’re looking for a Head of Deep Learning to join us in our journey of addressing the waste crisis through data analytics. Bringing your own passion for the topic, you'll play a hands-on key role in shaping the short, medium, and long term strategy and priorities for the deep learning team in alignment with the broader company strategy. You'll also mentor and develop our existing team, including providing coaching and getting actively involved in the technical discussion and development of models and analysis.
A typical day in this role looks like:
- Developing the long-term ML / deep learning strategy and helping to define the roadmap for the team, in collaboration with other departments such as data, product, engineering and hardware.
- End-to-end management and execution of the deep learning team’s projects
- Work with other team members to develop solutions using the latest Deep Learning methods in areas of object detection, classification and semantic segmentation.
- Implement and modify machine learning methods using best software development practices.
- Train, analyse and report model performance.
- Develop tools for further automating research and analysis.
- The role involves pushing the boundaries of what deep learning can do, by building and innovating on the latest research.
- 5+ years experience of applying machine learning and deep learning methods in the industry
- Experience leading and managing a team of deep learning researchers to overall company objectives
- Experience in developing practical deep learning applications using detection architectures (Faster-RCNN, SSD, YOLO, EfficientDet)
- Communication skills and ability to explain DL topics to technical and non-technical audiences, including management
- Solid theoretical understanding of machine learning and neural networks
- Experience with machine learning methods, such as active learning, clustering, semi-supervised learning, zero- and few-shot learning
- Experience working with Deep Learning Frameworks (Pytorch, Tensorflow)
- Solid hands-on software development skills in Python (numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, OpenCV)
- Ability to write clear, efficient and scalable code
- Analytical mindset, strong abstract thinking skills
- Passion for addressing the waste crisis or other environmental issues
It would be a plus if you had:
- Experience with edge deployment of CNNs, e.g. TorchScript, TensorRT
- Familiarity with lower-level languages such as C++
The world is in a waste crisis. Currently we produce 2.1 billion tons of solid waste per year. Data collection of the waste we produce is non-existent, meaning no systematic transparency and no accountability. It means that recycling targets are not upheld, dumping of waste into our oceans remains nobody's responsibility, recyclables get sent to landfill or incineration, and producers get away with sub-standard packaging. Thus, recycling rates stubbornly remain at 10% and, unless we change, by 2040 the plastic stock in the ocean will have quadrupled - a problem that already costs society $1.5 trillion each year.
Our mission is to increase transparency and automation in waste management to accelerate the circular economy. Currently, our camera system and AI software are deployed in recycling plants and waste facilities around the world to measure material flows and provide waste analytics. We have compiled a team of experts to deploy our technology and we’re looking to expand our team.
- Competitive london-based salary (salary band available upon application)
- Employee stock option scheme
- Customised hybrid working between office and home (open to remote working)
- 25 days holiday each year, plus bank holidays
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health needs
- Unlimited fresh fruit, tea, coffee and healthy snacks
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave
- Cycle to work scheme
A few things to note:
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered at this time.
- We are 100% committed to building a diverse and representative team. Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability - we want to hear from you.
- If you don’t quite match everything above but you feel you can succeed in this role, please still apply.
Benefits found in job post
- Medical insurance
- Paid maternity leave
- Paid paternity leave