|Published||December 28, 2022|
To alleviate the surging incidence of the world’s deadliest diseases, the development of new strategies for early detection and treatment is of utmost relevance. This can only proceed by deepening our understanding of the underlying molecular mechanisms and pathophysiological processes, calling in turn for new ways to visualize complex biological systems and to image disease states at various length- and time-scales.
If you are enthusiastic and passionate about tackling these challenges, join us!
What are we offering?
An excellent scientific, international, collaborative and inclusive environment:
- Research visits and exchange stays at partner institutions abroad
- Individual PhD supervision and dual mentoring
- Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities
- Regular lectures, journal clubs and seminar series
- A structured program for personal and career development
- Annual symposia and research winter/summer schools
- Participation in PhD retreats and networking social events
- Travel grants for external courses and conferences
The working language of the program is English.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. In addition to great science, it provides an inclusive and diverse living environment, with an incredible offer of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities.
The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: the majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. It is a family-friendly environment that offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or a fully equipped Parent-child room.
Join our community of 350 international PhD students and enjoy studying and living in Germany!
Who are we looking for?
- You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in life sciences, with emphasis on imaging and data science
- Your degree is in physics, mathematics, computer science, data science, biophysics (biomedical) engineering, biology, bioinformatics, molecular medicine, or a related field
- You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than August 2023
How to apply? Via our online recruitment portal! Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
Application deadline: January 16, 2023.
Desired starting date: Starting dates are arranged on the individual basis, latest 4 months from the interviews (August 2023)
- International working environment with communication in English and German
- Interesting career opportunities and a comprehensive range of qualification and further training opportunities
- Compatibility of family and career certified by the berufundfamilie audit
- Varied support for “New Berliners” (Welcome & Family Office)
- Company health management with fitness center
You also benefit from:
- A remuneration in accordance with the collective agreement for the federal public service (TVöD-Bund), including additional company pension schemes
- Flexible working hours and childcare support
- An idyllic green campus, which is easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or car
- A secure job, even in uncertain times
- Subsidy for the job ticket as well as discounts in the campus canteen
- Additional health benefits such as flu vaccination, eye test, ergonomics advice at the workplace, hygiene measures (medical mouth-nose protection, self-tests, disinfectants)
- The possibility of mobile working – also independent of the Corona situation
- Free use of Nextbike from the Buch S-Bahn station to the campus
PhD researchers are fully funded through an initial 3-year employment contract with the MDC, according to 65% TVöD 13 (monthly net payment of approximately 1600 EUR). Health and social insurance are included in the contract. Salaries are competitive to the national standards.
Desired starting date
August 1, 2023
Appointments are made for an initial period of 3 years, with possibility of extension for an additional year.
January 16, 2023
The MDC is committed to diversity and actively promotes equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, health impairment, age or sexual identity. We look forward to receiving applications from open-minded people who enjoy working in diverse teams. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given special consideration.
iNAMES Research School
Please use our online portal and submit your application including details about your education (university, grades), research experience, research interest and motivation, CV (without photo, age and information about your family status), reference letters, as well as relevant educational and degree certificates.
If you have a foreign degree, please submit proof of the recognition of your Master’s degree in Germany with your application. The proof can be determined via the anabin database (https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html) and can be submitted as a PDF attachment to the application.
For information on fair mobility, click here: https://www.fair-labour-mobility.eu/.
After submission of your application, you will receive an automatic email confirming that your application has been received. To be eligible for review, your application must be submitted before the application deadline.