Doctorate Intern in Machine Learning and Reasoning
|Published||February 11, 2023|
|Location||Calabasas, United States of America|
Based in Southern California with locations in Malibu, Calabasas and Camarillo; HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
We are seeking an intern candidate to work side-by-side world-leading scientists at HRL Laboratories, LLC. The candidate will have the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research and development in machine learning and autonomous systems and gain experience with new and emerging approaches, such as metacognition and neuro-symbolic reasoning. Tasks will include the development, implementation, and evaluation of state-of-the-art algorithms with applications to autonomous systems, such as mobile robots and robotic manipulation, unmanned aerial vehicles, and autonomous vehicles.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNTIONS
· Perform research and development of new algorithms, including machine learning/reasoning approaches, to improve the performance of autonomous systems
· Example research topics include meta-reinforcement learning, hierarchical reinforcement learning, competence awareness, active learning, neuro-symbolic AI, and machine reasoning
· Implement and evaluate new autonomy algorithms and systems in simulation and on physical platforms
· Additional job functions include: writing invention disclosures and publishing papers
· Research and hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas: meta-reinforcement learning, hierarchical reinforcement learning, metacognition, neuro-symbolic reasoning, machine learning/reasoning
· Experience developing innovative solutions based on the application of relevant research results from a wide variety of sources
· Excellent programming skills in Python
· Experience using machine learning and robotics tools and packages (e.g., ROS, PyBullet, PyTorch, or TensorFlow)
· Background in one or more of the following areas: Deep learning, hybrid approaches to machine intelligence, autonomous decision making, and simulation of autonomous systems
· Expertise in applying advanced algorithms to real or simulated autonomous systems
· Candidate has a Ph.D. or is enrolled in a Doctoral degree program.
The pay range for this position is $50 - $55 per hour.
Our pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hires for the position. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific range during the hiring process.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a "U.S. Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. "U.S. Person" includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our Regular/Full Time benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, age, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.