|Published||January 21, 2023|
|Location||Malta, United States of America|
Syngenta Group is a $28B leading science-based agtech company, operating in more than 100 countries, with more than 50’000 employees. We are proud to stand at the forefront of the tech revolution in agriculture. Using the latest digital innovations, data, and cutting-edge technologies we want to transform the way that crops are managed and enable farmers and agronomists to enhance efficiency and sustainable food production.
Our business success reflects the quality and skill of our people. We recognize that human diversity is as important to our business as biodiversity. Embracing the unique perspectives and capabilities of our employees helps us continue to catalyze innovation, maximize performance, and create business value. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
The seeds computer vision team supports plant breeding research and development activities for different field crops, vegetables and flowers around the world. Scientists in this team design, build, validate and deploy computer vision and image analytical pipelines to measure plant physical properties efficiently and accurately. The seeds computer vision team is seeking a image analytics scientist with a passion for defining, designing, experimenting, and evaluating product-focused solutions and for delivering business insights by utilizing broad array of methods including computer vision, image processing, statistical approaches, machine learning and deep learning.
You will be part of a diverse, dynamic, and international team with a strong technical expertise. You will have the opportunity to create impact on cross-functional projects that transform our R&D portfolio and business.
This position has the option to be remote for candidates in the Mid-West or Eastern United States.
The Deep Learning Scientist serves as hands-on expert and collaborate with team members and R&D domains to support and deliver projects supporting seeds development portfolio. The ideal candidate should possess excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking and a willingness to proactively learn the state-of the art analytical solutions in computer vision and deep learning.
- Research and apply the latest computer vision and deep learning methodologies to address plant phenotyping challenges using different sensing technologies (RGB camera, multi-spectral, X-ray, 3D scan) and different vectors (UAV, rover, conveyor).
- Evaluate and analyze algorithm performance – set an experimental framework validate findings using a trial and iterative approach, effectively communicate findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Identify data needs and provide recommendations; efficiently process, clean, and verify the integrity of data used for algorithm development and analyses
- Develop clean and tested Python code in high performance compute environments
- Create documentation of code and prepare a summary of the technical work describing the problem, applied solution and specific contributions.
- Follow agile principles and work collaboratively and effectively with cross-functional R&D, engineering and business teams.
- PhD or Master’s degree with equivalent experience in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics, Engineering or related quantitative field
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience in Deep Learning, Machine Learning, programming, data modelling and evaluation, probability and answering questions in high-dimensional datasets
- 2+ years of practical experience with image processing (OpenCV) and statistical analysis
- Solid programming skills (python)
- Familiarity with common and state of the art CNN architectures for object detection, image segmentation and classification. Experience in Machine Learning and Deep Learning libraries such as TensorFlow, Keras, MXNet, PyTorch, or Scikit-Learn
- Familiarity working with version control system (e.g. Git, CVS, SVN,etc).
- Expertise in statistics, data wrangling, mining, and modelling
- Experience effectively collaborating across science disciplines, Information Technology and Engineering to deliver scalable, end-to-end solution
- Demonstrated success in being a key player in a complex results-oriented research program requiring scientific creativity, innovative thinking, organizational, communication & collaborative skills
- Experience with visualization and rapid prototyping tools (Streamlit, R Shiny, Spotfire, Power BI)
- Experience with SQL and AWS
- Sound understating of AI, Sensor Analytics, GIS environments would be preferred
- Familiarity working with cloud computing technologies and conducting experiments on cloud--based datasets (e.g. Databricks, Azure, AWS EMR, AWS S3, AWS EKS, Singularity, sagemaker and KubeFlow)
- Strong influential leadership skills
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 9 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)