Data Scientist Intern/Co-op – Hong Kong – Intact Lab
|Published||October 26, 2022|
|Location||Hong Kong, Hong Kong|
About the job
About The Role
Calling all students interested in AI and machine learning! We have several fantastic opportunities for Data Scientist Interns/Co-ops to join our team. We are looking for students who can commit to a minimum of 3 months starting January or July 2023. We also offer 6-12 months placements/co-ops opportunities.
Artificial intelligence is shaping the future of insurance. Our latest lab is located in the Hong Kong Science and Technology Park to turn this vision into a reality. As Canada's largest home, auto and business insurer, we're here to cultivate the next generation of technology and talent. Together, we're helping our customers protect what matters to them most through the power of data science, machine learning and AI.
As a tech pioneer within a new AI lab, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Use machine learning and advanced statistics to help build innovative solutions for real-life customer and business problems
- Explore new technologies to use in your own solutions
- Grow alongside a diverse team of world-class experts in data science, software engineering, actuarial science, business, and design
- Transform data into meaningful conclusions and recommendations
- Validate the scientific methodology and project outputs of the other team members
- Collaborate with our teams in HK & Canada to share knowledge, learnings, results, and tools
- All this plus great work-life balance!
Here’s What You Bring To The Table
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary degree in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, science, engineering, statistics, AI, computer science or a related field.
- Relevant experience in predictive modelling, machine learning and advanced statistics solving business problems is an asset
- Knowledge of the underlying theory and implementation details of machine learning techniques such as clustering, decision trees, neural networks, Linear and Non-Linear Programming, Deep Learning (ANN, RNN, CNN) and Reinforcement Learning
- Experience with our tech stack is an asset: scikit-learn, xgboost, pytorch, tensorflow, LightGBM, pandas, numpy
- Programming experience in languages such as Python or R
- Unlimited curiosity and a passion to challenge the status quo
- Ability to focus on vaguely defined issues requiring the application of a creative approach
- Excellent communication, organization and a collaborative attitude
Life in the Lab
Technology is only as good as the people behind it. Every day at work, you’ll inspire and be inspired by the brilliant minds of our greater lab team: actuaries, data scientists, machine learning experts, geomathematicians, meteorologists, software engineers and designers.
As our company grows, your career will grow with it. There will always be an opportunity for you to develop your leadership skills, strengthen your expertise or take your work in a new direction. Whether it’s moving into a new, exciting project or taking a leadership role in either managerial or technical path, your career will always be on the move.
The Intact Lab – with headquarters in Montreal, Canada – is a fast-growing, digital innovation hub backed by Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC, HK$110 billion in market cap), Canada’s largest home, auto and business insurance company.
Intact Financial (HK) limited (Intact Lab, HK) is our first R&D A.I. centre outside of Canada. This expansion into the Asia Pacific region is an exciting chapter of our journey to become the best insurance A.I. shop in the world.
What We Offer
Working here means you'll be empowered to be and do your best every day. Here is some of what you can expect as a temporary member of our team:
- Inspiring leaders and colleagues who will lift you up and help you grow
- Access to tools and resources to support physical and mental health, embracing change and connecting with colleagues
- A dynamic workplace learning ecosystem complete with learning journeys, interactive online content, and inspiring programs
- Inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities
- A Community Impact program, because what you care about is a part of what makes you different. And how you contribute to your community should be just as unique.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Intact, we value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected, and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity. We’ll work with you to meet your needs.
Click here to review other important information about the hiring process, including background checks, internal candidates, and eligibility to work in Canada.
If you are an employee of Intact, belairdirect, or Johnson Insurance, please apply for this role on Contact People.