Data Scientist Intern
|Published||December 23, 2022|
|Location||Arlington, United States of America|
Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) Advanced Analytics team has an opening for a motivated Data Scientist Intern, based out of our Arlington, VA office. This position offers a flexible hybrid onsite/remote work schedule.
This candidate will work on projects to design, develop, and deploy Machine Learning services. Our team supports both research and development projects as well as mission critical applications and the work includes applying machine learning libraries such as SciKit Learn, Keras, TensorFlow, or PyTorch to develop and train ML models. The candidate must be intellectually adaptive, inquisitive, good at expressing their needs, and self-managed when necessary. Selected candidates will work alongside software/system engineers and research/data scientists with expertise in multi-modal information retrieval, UI development, computer vision, metrics, information science, artificial intelligence, and autonomous systems.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Create AI/ML prototypes for use cases requiring identifying entity/objects, determining object association, object disambiguation, anomaly detection, state estimations, etc.
- Develop and maintain data models (both physical and logical)
- Research and evaluate new technologies
- Design and architect technical solutions in collaboration with teammates
- Perform extraction, transform, and load (ETL) tasks related to the different modalities and algorithms being applied. This data ETL includes identifying the data’s relevant metadata to ensure consistency, quality, accuracy, integrity, and information assurance and security.
- Conduct anomaly detection using various AI/ML techniques
- Use algorithms to identify complex patterns across multiple modalities
- Increase the efficiency and quality data alignment and fusion
- Enhance and maintain analysis tools, including automation of current processes using AI/ML algorithms
- Direct quantitative data analysis including developing retrieval, processing, fusion, analysis, and visualization of various datasets
- Configure and program prototypes Jupyter notebooks with ML solutions
- Setup and use AWS instances to train and operate AI/ML models
To be successful in this role you need these basic skills (required qualifications):
- Currently enrolled and pursuing Master’s degree in the field of Data Science, Data Analytics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related fields
- Familiar with at least one programming language like Python, Java, C/C++.
- Experience with at least one of the following machine learning libraries SciKit Learn, Keras, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Must be eligible to obtain a DoD Top Secret security clearance with polygraph
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Practical experience with statistical analysis
- Intermediate software development skills including developing and maintaining code bases
- Hands-on Software Development Skills (Python-Preferred)
- Experience or educational courses/projects in Machine Learning, and/or Text
- Visualizations/Web Development Skills (e.g. Tableau, D3, etc)
- Hands-on experience with prototype development
- Hands-on experience with automating data cleansing, formatting, staging, and transforming data
- Hands-on experience applying data analytics
- Hands-on experience with intelligent systems and machine learning
- Experience with interpretability of deep learning models
- Big Data Skills (Azure, Hadoop, Spark, recent deep learning platforms)
- Experience with text mining tools and techniques including in areas of summarization, search (e.g. elasticsearch), entity extraction, training set generation (e.g. Snorkel) and anomaly detection
- Experience using git, jupyter notebooks, vs code or other IDEs and version control systems
Pay Range $53,300.00 - $82,000.00 - $110,700.00The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.