Data Scientist III
|Published||December 10, 2022|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
Data Scientist III, Analytics
Do you want to work in a best-in-class analytics team that has access to cutting-edge tools and technology? Are you looking for a diverse international team to work with? Are you looking to move into a business that offers a wide range of developing career paths for you? We need curious, data driven analytical thinkers with a relentless drive for learning and improvement to join our rapidly growing team.
This role is an excellent opportunity to join the Lodging Strategic Partners Analytics team, where we are passionate about understanding our customer's and suppliers' behaviors, discovering opportunities, and prioritizing them to help the company's bottom line. At the same time, we increase customer's choices and confidence to book travel and make a difference in their life. The successful candidate must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, own deliverables end to end, prioritize workload effectively and thrive in a dynamic environment. This individual must have excellent analytical aptitude, great communication skills as well as be able to work well under pressure.
What You’ll Do
- Be familiar with Python, Scala or R, or any other major machine learning programming language.
- Extract data from multiple data sources and combine into the required datasets for model building or analytics.
- Apply supervised machine learning theory and techniques.
- Develop basic solutions utilizing standard software libraries/packages.
- Help in all activities, especially in proper model selection, regularization and evaluation to be able to develop robust solutions.
- Apply a range of common statistical methods to business problems determining the ideal method for the problem considering underlying assumptions.
- Understand limitations of selected methods and both frequentist and Bayesian statistics.
- Solidly understand hypothesis testing.
- Design complex experiments and apply common methods such as linear and non-linear aggression, multivariate analysis.
- Build end-to-end design of models based on detailed understanding of business requirements, including general approach, choice of algorithm and data sources.
- Reflect a deep understanding of business requirements in model output. Adhere to standard methodologies, academic research and experience.
- Display advanced domain (i.e., travel, online retail) knowledge, business acumen (understanding the underlying business objectives) and critical reasoning skills.
- Challenges business processes recommending and developing solutions to meet unique business needs and achieve objectives.
- Know and apply data visualization principles consistently resulting in clear and consistent outcomes.
- Create clear and consistent visualizations with expert use of typography.
- Experience with UX and UI concepts, such as padding, framing, chart placement, white space balance and hierarchy of elements.
- Possess strong knowledge and experience in new and developed charting packages and libraries (e.g., ggplot, plotly).
- Build clear, concise and well-structured functional material (e.g., policies & procedures, guidelines, presentations, messages) and recommend improvements to existing material.
- Tailor communications (content focus, style, format, etc.) for different audiences as appropriate.
- Understand and make recommendations on processes, objectives, and challenges and their impact on the business.
- Influence action and results, through clear writing, in an accessible way for a wide audience. Structure presentations around a clear narrative and is concise in what's included. Present clearly and engagingly and anticipates questions.
- Have an extensive experience of big data architecture (streaming events, data lakes, analytics engines) and relational database models as it relates to analytics.
- Apply advanced querying capabilities such as: creating Views and Tables (+Indexes and Permissions), creating Store Procedures (+ Flow Control), SQL Ranking (RANK() OVER ... PARTITION BY...), Cursors & Temp Tables.
- Build production grade data pipelines, which can support business critical applications.
- Frame Expedia's most complex business problems as an analytics problem and concrete set of analytical tasks.
- Leverage others’ skills, knowledge and expertise effectively in problem solving and delivering impact.
- Display advanced domain (i.e. travel, online retail) knowledge, business acumen (understanding the underlying business objectives), curiosity and critical reasoning skills.
- Pick analytically valid approaches, appropriate in terms of level of effort, favoring iterative delivery that solves for the objective, not the ask (i.e. not just order-taking). Use advanced and sophisticated understanding of the business problem space to inform the design of the solution.
Who You Are
- Bachelor's, Master’s, PhD or Equivalent Experience; Mathematics, Science, Statistics degree or a related Technical field; or Equivalent related professional experience is applicable.
- A high performing individual contributor who consistently applies - and sometimes enhances - the analytics capabilities, principles and playbooks to solve complex business issues and opportunities.
- Operates largely independently and mentors more junior colleagues.
- Develops and drives significant and sustained change and performance improvement from data-driven insights in a number of different areas or contexts.
- Builds and maintains a data science project/product in production environments.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs .
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.