Data Scientist II, Content Discovery and Experimentation
|Published||February 10, 2023|
|Location||New York, United States of America|
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Every great story has a new beginning.
We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. We're a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. Our mission is simple. To be the world's best storytellers with world-class products for consumers.
From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
Warner Bros. Discovery's DTC technology and product organization sits at the intersection of tech, entertainment, and everyday utility. We are continuously leveraging new technology to build immersive and interactive viewing experiences. Our platform covers everything from search, content catalog, and video transcoding, to personalization, global subscriptions, and more. We are committed to delivering quality user experiences, ranging from video streaming to applications across connected TV, mobile, web and consoles. As a pure tech organization, we are essential to Warner Bros. Discovery’s continued growth, building world-class products from the ground-up for our iconic brands like HBO Max, Discovery Channel, CNN, Food Network, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
We are looking for a Data Scientist II to join our Content Discovery Data Science and Experimentation team. This team drives all of our content discovery experiences (search, personalization, content) with hypothesis-based experimentation and data-driven decision making. You will be responsible for contributing to and executing on an active research agenda aimed at improving how our users discover and engage with content that is personalized to their interests and help expand them over time. You are well-versed in experimental design and AB testing, critical thinking, exploratory data analysis and science, and Bayesian approaches to causal inference. You are as comfortable with technical depth in this area as you are with the industry trends to ensure that our decisions are data-driven, and sound from both statistical and business perspectives. You can communicate results and proposed changes to partners/stakeholders across product, UX design, and technology areas (data, machine learning, data science, and analytics).
- Build, test, and analyze all experiments with the objective of increasing user engagement and retention
- Work in close collaboration with data engineers, machine learning scientists/engineers and product managers who lead search, personalization and content flow on the app
- Leverage our institutional knowledge and user data to find new ideas and insights for a better search and personalization experience
- Partner with product managers to build metrics that help the business understand user satisfaction and engagement
- Partner with machine learning scientists/engineers to analyze feature and model performance (correlation analysis, bias check, fairness analysis etc) towards content discovery business goals
- Partner with the experimentation platform team to innovate (user segmentation and targeting for experiments) and automate the repetitive aspects of experimental design (power analysis, fast bootstrapping for large data sets, reducing test variance, etc)
- Conduct post-experimental analysis and deep dives to derive insights that inform our models/algorithms for iterative improvement of our product
- Build reporting tools/dashboards as well as experimentation and analytics solutions using enterprise infrastructure that allow us and our stakeholders to monitor the health of our search and personalization efforts
- Communicate experimental findings with the wider organization and translate them into actionable decisions
- Motivate, inspire and create a culture of experimentation and data-driven innovation
- 3+ years of experience as a data scientist with a solid understanding of machine learning in the recommendations/personalization domain
- M.S. or Ph.D. in an applied quantitative discipline (e.g. Statistics, Data Science, Economics, Applied Math/Physics) is preferred
- Strong background in statistics, experimentation, data visualization with hands-on expertise in SQL, Python, R, or other similar language
- Experience with Databricks, Snowflake, AWS
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Prior experience partnering with engineers, product managers and technical program managers
- Prior experience working with search and personalization of digital products (especially media content) is a huge plus
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. $97,300.00 - $180,700.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.