|Published||February 21, 2023|
Would you like to engage with customers to create insights for their strategic questions?
Join our cross-functional team of data scientists, technologists, operational experts and product managers!
About our Team
Elsevier's Research Data Platform (RDP) is the data powerhouse of analytics business. We want to help the world of research make high-value decisions, by providing quality, connected data and insights to Academic and Government sutomers through the Elsevier product portfolio. And through direct engagement with customers, to create valuable insights for their strategic questions.
We are also a growth engine for the future powering new use cases and bringing in new market segments.
About the Role
As a Data scientist in the RDP Data Science team you will be responsible for the algorithms for data integration. You will work closely with our engineers, architects, product managers and other data scientists within a specific entity domain to continually improve our best-in-class disambiguation systems. Together with the team of experts you enhance our insights around academic funding.
We profile People, Organizations, but also research artefacts (Publications, Datasets, Grants) and various other entities. Our disambiguation systems integrate data from a diverse set of data sources that include millions of research artefacts and demonstrate market leading performance. We tackle some of the hardest data science challenges to solve pressing customer needs and we are looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and collaborative colleague to join our ranks.
What we are looking for
- You are passionate about the possibilities of creating value for customers by interconnecting data and improving the quality and richness of data at scale;
- You are knowledgeable in an area of data science and motivated in developing yourself. You follow upcoming industry trends and best practices and keep up to date with modern methods, tools, and technologies, to utilize those when opportunity arises;
- You like to work with others as part of a team to achieve a common goal. You are eager to contribute and put your idea across, even if the idea is initially unpopular, and you have the humility to admit when you are wrong;
- Like everyone else on our team, you are versatile with a broad perspective, eager to learn new things and use the best tools for the job. You’re not afraid to venture into uncharted territory and come away with mastery of it;
- A positive, constructive approach with an emphasis on collaboration and flexibility;
- Willingness to learn new things and come up with practical, simple solutions to technical issues.
What you should bring
- Formal qualifications in computer science, operational research, econometrics, mathematics, or equivalent;
- Minimum 8 (principal) and 4 (senior) years of hands-on experience with developing large scale data science solutions;
- Demonstrable coding skills in Scala, or Python;
- Knowledge of applying Machine Learning techniques;
- Experience with databases, NoSQL data stores and knowledge of SQL;
- Knowledge of Natural Language Processing is a plus.
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
- Working remotely from home and at our office in a hybrid working style
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times you work in the day
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities to develop yourself. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package as well as an opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. We are committed to building a team that fosters diversity and inclusion, representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
When you work with us, your work matters. You are part of an organization that nurtures your curiosity to stimulate innovation for the communities that we serve.
Growing Every Day
Like the communities we serve, you are on a constant path of discovery to shape your career and personal development.
Colleagues Who Care
You will be part of the Elsevier family. We will support your well-being and provide the flexibility you need to thrive at work and home.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.