Data Science Postgraduate Apprenticeship Level 7
|Published||January 6, 2023|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
BBC Studios is the commercial arm of the BBC and is a creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of content with offices in over 20 global markets. Its activities span content financing, development, production, sales and branded services. With a turnover of around £1.4 billion, we are responsible for household names that include Strictly Come Dancing, Dragons’ Den and Frozen Planet.
BBC Studios is looking for its next generation of Data Scientists to impact its diverse set of businesses including Content Development, Subscriptions and Advertising. You’ll use AI and Machine Learning to improve our understanding and operations and to help the business make smarter decisions. If you’re a graduate and fancy a career at the cutting edge of new technology read on! As data-driven insights and data-powered products bring us closer to our audiences, we’re using increasingly sophisticated techniques to help us stay one step ahead of the competition! But what’s next? Based in our Data Team at BBC Studios, you’ll be surrounded by people who live and breathe innovation, so if you’re an ideas person with a love of learning and turning the theoretical into the practical, why not apply to join our team?
This fully funded postgraduate apprenticeship lets you earn while you learn on the job and study for a MSc in Data Science at the University of Exeter.
- Start Date: September 2023
- Duration: 3 year MSc postgraduate programme
- Salary: £35,568 (inclusive of £4,918 London weighting)
- Locations: London
- Typically leading to: Permanent role as a Data Scientist
This is a great opportunity to learn on and off-the-job as part of a growing BBC Studios team alongside your postgraduate programme. Modules delivered as part of the programme include:
- Fundamental mathematical & computational techniques of Data Science
- Machine learning
- Statistical modelling
- Handling large & complex datasets
- Image & text analysis
- The socio-legal data environment
- Data in business and society
More information about the programme can be found HERE
Are you the right candidate?
If you love using mathematics and technology to solve problems you’re exactly what we’re looking for. We’re recruiting graduates with plenty of ideas and great communication skills to join our team of Data Scientists. We’re not expecting you to run before you can walk, that’s why it’s an apprenticeship. But with support from our teams and the University of Exeter, we’ll help you to fulfil your potential so be sure to tell us how you’re good at:
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- Coding with Python (or similar languages)
- Awareness & Understanding of Software Programming
- Time Management
Who we're looking for:
- You'll have a 2:1 degree or above in a numerate subject
- Sufficient competency in Maths and Python (this will be tested at University application stage)
- The legal right to work in the UK
- Resident in UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man with settled status for at least 3 years prior to the apprenticeship start date
- £35,568 (inclusive of £4,918 London weighting)
- A flexible 35-hour working week, 26 days of annual leave days (with the option to buy an extra 5 days)
- A dedicated Team Manager and Scheme Specialist to help with your development
- Professional Coaching and Mentoring by industry professionals
- Access to our in-house Academy, which hosts a range of internal and external courses
- Qualification: MSc in Data Science
- A fun place to work, competitive salary, defined pension scheme and a range of discounts including dental, health care and gym membership
During the application process we want to learn more about your skills and interests. For further information about the application process please click here
Support with your application:
We are proud to be a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply or interview for a role with the BBC please visit our Early Careers Recruitment page
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here