|Published||February 25, 2023|
At Optum, we leverage leading edge technology and innovation to create a healthcare system that serves everyone more fairly, efficiently and consistently. We work to build a healthier world, one idea at a time.
As a Fortune 5 business, we’re one of the world’s leading healthcare companies. There are no limits here on the resources you’ll have or the challenges you’ll encounter. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, we use the most advanced development tools, AI, data science and innovative approaches to make the healthcare system work better for everyone.
About the Role:
We are seeking a highly motivated PhD Intern to join our team and work on a cutting-edge research project that involves data science, machine learning, and natural language processing techniques. The intern will work closely with our research team to analyze clinical data including medical records using state-of-the-art techniques such as word embeddings, extractors, and large language models.
Key Information on the Data Science PhD Internship Program:
The intent of our PhD internship program is to provide an internship specifically aimed at individuals who are enrolled in a university PhD program requiring temporary placement with an industry partner
- Collaborate with the research team to design and execute experiments to analyze clinical data using data science and machine learning techniques
- Develop and implement state-of-the-art natural language processing techniques including word embeddings, extractors, and large language models to analyze clinical data
- Work with the research team to evaluate the performance of the developed algorithms and models
- Document and present the results of the experiments to the research team and other stakeholders
Sponsorship is not available for this position.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for potential future roles.
- Enrolled in a PhD program in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field
- Strong background in machine learning and natural language processing
- Experience with data analysis and visualization tools such as Python
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Keras
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience with large-scale data processing tools such as Hadoop, Spark, or Flink is a plus
- Effective communication style to both technical and non-technical audiences
Please note you must currently be eligible to work and remain indefinitely without any restrictions in the country to which you are making an application. Proof will be required to support your application.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care must go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.