|Published||October 10, 2023|
|Location||Bellevue, United States of America|
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Data Science Intern - Summer 2024 position!
Specific details regarding the work arrangements for this position will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Become a Puget Sound Energy (PSE) Data Science Intern and gain the real-world experience you need to compete in today’s job market! If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that is leading the energy and utility environments in Washington State. At Puget Sound Energy, we understand your career is just getting started; therefore, our Information Technology internships are excellent opportunities to gain first-hand experience. You will have the opportunity to enhance your technical and communication skills, while learning the essential inner workings of PSE’s business environment. You will team up with our internal technology experts to work on high-value efforts to help shape the future of customer engagement, critical business area transformation, and critical infrastructure services such as mobility and cloud.
We are leaders in delivering technology solutions that drive IT innovation within the energy industry and create long-term value for our customers. Across our organization, you will find diverse thinkers who thrive in a culture of collaboration and teamwork while enjoying a flexible work environment that fosters creativity, commitment, and most importantly: a work-life balance. If you are looking for a well-rounded, opportunity-rich career path, you have come to the right place. Join us and help make a difference in achieving a clean-energy future through technology and teamwork.
The Data Science Intern will report to the Data Governance team and may have the following responsibilities listed below.
- Run basic SQL queries and extracts data under the direction of an experienced or senior professional
- Development of predictive models using programming languages (Python, SQL, AWS)
- Independent validation of model performance and evaluation
- Perform general data integrity checks
- Work with colleagues to identify data availability, quality, and modeling requirements/dependencies
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements pertaining automating manual processes, optimizing delivery of data, scalability, etc.
- Collaborate with business users, systems analysts and development teams in defining, analyzing and interpreting business and technical requirements to set specifications for reporting solutions
- Stage and shape data from data sources into reporting and analytics solutions
- Assist in establishing and documenting best practices relating to enterprise data
- Provide assistance to other staff as needed and perform other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled in an Associate’s or Bachelor’s program focused in Computer Science, Informatics, Data Analytics/Science, or related field
- Strong academic standing (3.0 GPA or above)
- Familiarity and experience with SQL, Python, AWS, and/or R
- Familiarity with ETL (extract, transform, load)
- Familiarity with data modeling concepts
- A clear and effective communicator, both written and oral
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Empathetic with a customer focused mindset
- Adaptable and flexible under ambiguity
- An initiative taker and a quick and willing learner
- Interested in renewable energy and the utility sector
- Actively involved in the community and extracurricular activities
- Someone with previous working experience
- These are temporary positions between May/June and August/September 2024
- Internships will be hybrid (around 50% onsite and 50% remote) and located within our Bellevue, Redmond, and Bothell offices
- PSE internships are for current students
The pay for this position is $31.49/hour. This position is not benefits eligible.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we're building the Northwest's energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-462-3017.