Data Science Degree Apprenticeship – Glasgow – Level 6
|Published||December 22, 2022|
|Location||Glasgow, United Kingdom|
We’re the home of the BBC iPlayer, some of the latest augmented reality apps and an extensive TV and Radio archive stretching back 100 years. The BBC is looking for the next generation of Data Scientists with a passion for maths and coding to help develop the AI and Machine Learning applications of the future and our transition to becoming a more data-driven organisation. So if you fancy a career at the cutting edge of new technology supporting our editors to create great content read on! This fully funded degree apprenticeship lets you earn while you learn on the job and by studying for a BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering with Data Science at the University of Glasgow.
Based within the Archives Technology and Services Team or Product Data Group, you’ll be surrounded by people who live and breathe innovation so if you’re an ideas person with a love of learning, you’ll fit right in!
- Start Date: 18th September 2023
- Duration: 4-year degree programme
- Salary: A starting salary of £19,500 and potential pay increases
- Location: Glasgow
- Typically leading to: Permanent role as a Data Scientist or Data Engineer
This advert is for Glasgow, we also have this role available in Salford and London. If you are interested in applying for Salford or London, please apply via the advert HERE
You’ll be joining a team of Data Scientists, supporting the team in a number of areas including:
- Data Analysis
- Data Processing
- Data Cleaning
- Machine Learning algorithms (primarily Recommendation Engines) development
- Algorithm evaluation
This is a great opportunity to learn on and off the job as part of an exciting BBC team alongside your degree programme at the University of Glasgow and modules like:
- Practical Algorithms
- Data Storage & Retrieval
- Data Science Fundamentals
- Database Systems
- Big Data: Systems, Programming & Management
- Information Retrieval
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Recommender Systems
- Introduction to Document Analytics
- Deep Learning
- Robotics Foundations
- Computer Vision Methods & Applications
More information about the degree programme can be found HERE
Are you the right candidate?
If you love using mathematics to solve problems and want to feed your enthusiasm for AI and Machine Learning you’re exactly what we’re looking for! We’re recruiting for people with plenty of ideas and great communication skills to join our team of Data Scientists and Engineers. We’re not expecting you to run before you can walk, that’s why it’s an apprenticeship! But with support from our teams and the University of Glasgow, we’ll help you to fulfill your potential so be sure to tell us how you’re good at this lot:
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- Awareness & Understanding of Software Programming
- Practical Application
- Time Management
Who we're looking for:
- You'll have Maths & English National 5 or GCSEs at 9-4 or A-C equivalent
- Scottish Highers at BBBB or above including mathematics and two sciences or A-levels at AAB-ABB including maths or equivalent qualifications
- The legal right to work in the UK
- Resident in UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man with settled status for at least 3 years prior to the apprenticeship start date
- A starting salary of £19,500 and potential pay increases
- A flexible 35-hour working week, 26 days of annual leave days (with the option to buy an extra 5 days)
- Access to training and development across the BBC supported by a formal degree programme at the University of Glasgow
- Academic and developmental support with a dedicated BBC line manager supported by a Scheme Specialist at the BBC Academy
- BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering with Data Science
- A fun place to work, competitive salary, a defined pension scheme and a range of discounts including dental, health care and gym membership.
During the application process we want to learn more about your skills and interests. For further information about the application process please click here
Support with your application:
We are proud to be a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply or interview for a role with the BBC please visit our Early Careers Recruitment page
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here