Computer Vision Software Engineer
|Published||December 1, 2022|
|Location||Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
What does the team do
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics research engineers are working on sensor-guided robotic systems to further improve the efficiency of our operation. Our primary goal is to find the best way to deploy robots in the production of grocery orders. In order to do this, we pursue cutting-edge research into state of the art algorithms, sensing technologies, and manipulation techniques. Our ideal candidate will be a specialist in the field of robotic learning, with good programming skills and the ability to translate their own scientific ideas into reusable code.
To give you an idea of the types of projects you might work on, here’s some examples of previous successes. As part of our effort to be in the vanguard of robotics research, the team has been involved in two European Union funded Horizon 2020 research projects with a number of leading European Universities:-
What would I be doing?
- Working in collaboration with researchers to architect, implement, test, deploy and support computer vision algorithms for robot pick.
- Driving improvements to code quality through appropriate methods including testing, code review and mentoring.
- Implementing and supporting deployment pipelines to improve delivery to stakeholders and maintain release quality.
- Collaborating with stakeholders including customer teams and product managers to define interfaces and deliverables that meet their requirements.
- Discovering, evaluating and implementing new tools and practices to increase the effectiveness of the team.
- Documenting and presenting progress and deliverables.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- Experience developing production software in Python and C++
- Experience training and deploying computer vision ML models
- Good grasp of software engineering fundamentals: architecture, design patterns, testing
- Substantial experience of CI/CD e.g. GitLab, Docker or similar.
- Focus on code quality both in own work and that of the wider team.
- Demonstrable experience of releasing and maintaining code in production.
- Practical experience of cloud systems e.g. GCP or AWS.
Bonus points if you have…
- Masters/PhD or equivalent experience in computer vision, ML or robotics
- Experience of robotics or a similar domain involving hardware, sensors .etc
- Go software development skills
- Experience working with ROS
- Experience of gRPC and protocol buffers
- Experience of classical image manipulation and computer vision techniques
- Experience working with point clouds
- Experience developing on Ubuntu Linux
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately. Currently, we offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid working patterns meaning part of the working week can be spent working remotely (typically 3 days per week). However, your working pattern will depend upon your role/team).
- 30 days ‘working from anywhere’ policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive work environment. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover costs relating to the Certificate of Sponsorship and the Immigration Skills Charge only. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements. Please assume you have been unsuccessful if you haven’t heard from us within 4 weeks.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the Everyday Pioneers to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Changing the way the world shops, for good.