Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineer Intern
|Published||January 17, 2023|
|Location||Poole, United Kingdom|
Yunex Traffic is looking for aspiring undergraduate to join our Innovation team on a 12-month contract as part of our Intern Development Programme.
As our cities get bigger and more complex, Yunex Traffic makes mobility safer, more efficient, and more sustainable with innovative infrastructure and transport solutions.
As an Innovation team Intern, you’ll rotate through different software teams working on elements of real projects, most likely applying machine learning and AI skills to traffic related problems. For example, object detection, classification, sensor fusion, modelling and prediction. You’ll bring your fresh perspective to what we do, help us question our existing approaches and find even better ways to achieve our goals.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, we’ll help you prepare for your future career and grow your own unique skillset.
We’re looking for some who is:
Studying for or qualified with, a full BSc/ BEng degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
Studying for an MSc in Computer Science or AI/ML having experience in software development.
You must be able to develop software and explain in detail, at interview, your experience to date.
If you are studying more general data science and have basic scripting/ programming skills, please consider the Business Excellence Intern role instead.
Additionally, you will be required to:
- Work with other interns on a collaborative business impact project part time and to engage with people and teams at all levels of our business, including Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, Finance and Services.
- Think creatively, using available tools to develop solutions to challenges.
- Use a range of IT and digital tools, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Learn new concepts and principles.
For this role we are looking for someone who is :
- a strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- a creative thinker with great attention to detail.
- able to learn new skills quickly, through informal learning.
- self-motivated and able to work in an agile team.
- action orientated, takes ownership and is proactive in delivering against commitments.
- familiar with the industry relevant data science techniques.
- experienced working on data science/data analytics projects (e.g. at university).
To succeed in the internship, expertise in several of the following areas will be needed. As a minimum, lab sessions and projects undertaken during education will be acceptable evidence of basic competence.
- Application of Machine Learning to engineering problems e.g. object detection, classification, prediction ….
- Natural Language Processing (NLP). Ability to process text or speech using available frameworks, cloud services etc.
- Use of ML libraries such as TensorFlow and PyTorch.
- Familiar with using structured data formats (JSON, XML, relational databases, spreadsheets, etc.) and ability to analyse, clean or visualise data (for example using Python, spreadsheets, SQL or other technologies).
- Has basic working knowledge of a cloud-based system such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Have competency in a programming language such as Python, C, C++ or Java.
- Have used Linux command line for compilation of software.
Closing Date: Applications should be received no later than 21st February, 2023 for standard admissions, but later applications may be considered depending on whether there are any remaining places.
Duration: The internship will begin on 4th September 2023. The length of the internship is 12 months.
Location: This internship will be at our Poole office, based 2.5 miles outside Poole city centre (with frequent direct bus services). Poole is also conveniently located within half an hour from Bournemouth. With its location on the south coast of England, Poole is known for its large natural harbour, sandy beaches, rich history and many outdoor attractions to enjoy.
Our Commitment: Yunex Traffic is committed to promoting equality, diversity, and inclusivity. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss any requirements you may have, including workplace adjustments.
Yunex Traffic welcome applications from all candidates. Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for this role as the Home Office's eligibility criteria will not be satisfied. All applicants will be kept updated throughout the application process and we expect a conclusion by March 2023.
How To Apply: Applications should be made online. Please apply to this advert and include curriculum vitae and a cover letter to confirm:
- Availability to start the internship on 4th September, 2023
- Confirmation that the internship forms part of a formal university placement year
- Is unrelated to a university formal industrial placement year
- You have the right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship Sept ’23 to August ‘24 full time
- You are subject to reduced working hours restrictions during “term time” along with details of dates where restriction apply
- Whether you have any deadlines to confirm your internship or placement year
- Confirmation that you intend to remain in the UK for the duration of the internship and will be available to work in the Poole office a minimum of 3 days per week