|Published||May 9, 2023|
|Location||Durham, United States of America|
The RTI University Collaboration Office seeks a prospect for the AI/Data Science Internship with RTI Rarity within the Social, Statisitical, & Environmental Sciences (SSES) unit.
This internship is a contract position. The employment contract is administered by Greene Resources Powered by Array, RTI’s supplemental staffing partner.
RTI Rarity, an AI solution of RTI International, is a data library and suite of neighborhood-level risk scores. We use Census and other Federal and academic data to understand local social inequities in health outcomes, such as life expectancy. We explore machine-enabled and artificially intelligent solutions to measuring and accounting for local social and behavioral determinants of health.
The AI/Data Science Intern will be an active member of our academic, non-profit research team focused on predicting, visualizing, and and analyzing health outcomes. Two specific projects this summer will involve scaling up our COVID-19 model from one state to all 50, and developing our Local Climate Impact model focused on climate change.
- The intern will become familiar with the project and its data pipeline, involving database maintenance and creating a basic, internal platform for querying and downloading data.
- The intern will learn about product and business development from an active research team involved in scaling up proof-of-concept models to full-scale deployment across a large research institute.
- Assisting the team with cleaning and analyzing data, including database maintenance
- Assisting with modeling and dashboard development
- Assisting with documentation of the data and measures
- Contributing to business development efforts
RTI's Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI's open and educational culture; support RTI's mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This virtual paid internship will take place from May 2023 through August 2023. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 25 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Currently enrolled in graduate study in bioinformatics, artificial intelligence/data science/computer science, or similar
- Demonstrated experience with predicting a health outcome at the neighborhood level (i.e., Census tracts across an entire state) using advanced methods, such as AI (e.g., random forest)
- Programming and/or database management skills with one or more of the following languages: R, Python, Stata, SAS, SQL
- Interest in public health/medicine
- Experience in an academic research setting
- Communication and data visualization skills
- Interest in business/product development
- Interest in natural language processing and/or computer vision a plus
EEO & Pay Equity Statements
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach and one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.