2023 Summer Intern – ECD Artificial Intelligence – Spatial AI/ML for Clinical Applications
|Published||January 18, 2023|
|Location||South San Francisco, United States of America|
2023 Summer Intern - ECD Artificial Intelligence - Spatial AI/ML for Clinical Applications
Early Clinical Development Informatics (ECDi) Multimodality AI team is seeking a highly-motivated Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning (AI/ML) intern focused on medical and clinical applications of spatial AI. The Multimodality AI team improves drug development and target/biomarker discovery processes by developing AI models from multimodal patient data. The Spatial AI sub-focus in the team leverages medical image and spatially resolved omic data to discover spatial predictors of survival and response to therapy. The AI/ML intern will have the opportunity to operate in a cross-functional environment consisting of ECD Informatics, Translational Medicine, Cancer Immunology, Research Bioinformatics and others.
The AI/ML intern will act as a machine learning expert and be expected to leverage recent developments in AI/ML to solve clinically relevant problems in spatial AI. The focus in spatial AI will be on utilizing histopathological image and/or spatially resolved omic data to conduct novel biomarker/target discovery and predict clinical outcomes such as survival and response to therapy.
This internship position is located in South San Francisco, CA On-Site.
- Participate in cutting edge research in spatial AI by using medical image and/or spatial omic datasets.
- Assess the relative merits of state of the art models in computer vision, representation learning, multi-instance learning, graph neural networks and nominate methods to bring in house.
- Act as a full stack AI engineer to train, deploy and maintain end to end solutions, design and run experiments and present the results on a front end user interface.
- Provide intellectual support and train team members in specific domains of expertise.
- Have basic understanding of molecular biology and genuine interest in medical and clinical applications of AI/ML.
- Intensive 6 Months , full time (40 hours per week) paid internship.
- Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
- Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
- Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
- Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
- Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
- Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
Who You Are
- Graduate Level Only (MS or PhD). Currently pursuing the degree or graduated within the past two years.
Preferred majors: Computer Science, Data Science, Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
- Minimum 3 years of experience and a proven track record in full stack machine learning and deep learning model development.
- Demonstrate coding skills with a public repository and a track record of contribution to an open source package.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in an agile environment.
- Experience with training models using digital pathology whole slide images (H&E, IF, IHC) is a big plus.
- Experience with spatial transcriptomics/proteomics analysis is a plus.
- Experience with state-of-the-art self-supervised learning and graph neural network models is a plus.
Along with the submission of your CV, a cover letter is optional.
Relocation benefits are not available for this job posting.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location for this position of California is $21.00 - $50.00 per hour. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. This position also qualifies for paid holiday time off benefits.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Job Sub Category
Internships & Co-ops
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Jan 17th 2023