|Published||January 26, 2023|
|Location||South San Francisco, United States of America|
2023 Summer Intern - Early Clinical Development Artificial Intelligence: Causal Machine Learning Researcher
The AI, Cloud, and Engineering (ACE) Team at Genentech is seeking a highly motivated intern to work on causal machine learning methods. This is a remote or in-person graduate-level internship position, with a minimum duration of 12 weeks, starting in May/June. Recent advancements in machine learning have led to impressive results in computer vision and natural language processing, where the combination of large amounts of data and computational resources has enabled the development of highly convincing generative models. However, in the field of healthcare, where data is often scarce, heterogeneous, and multimodal, these models have been less successful in capturing the underlying data generating mechanisms, or the causal relations. Clinical experts and statisticians often rely on causal knowledge, or partial causal knowledge, to analyze and interpret their research. The intern will focus on incorporating causal assumptions into current machine learning methods to improve model robustness to distribution shifts and even uncover disease processes that were previously obscured by spurious correlations.
This internship will be Fully Remote.
- Drive the application of best practices for algorithm development.
- Train large scale experiments using cloud and HPC infrastructure.
- Deliver high quality code and actively participate in code reviews.
- Keep accurate and timely records of research findings and progress.
- Intensive 12-weeks, full time (40 hours per week) paid internship.
- Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
- Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
- Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
- Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
- Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
- Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
Who You Are
- PhD Student (pursuing PhD, not completed)
Preferred majors: Computer Science, Statistics, Bioengineering, or related field.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
- In-depth knowledge of current SoTA in Causality and Causal Reasoning, actively conducting research in Causal Machine Learning.
- Record of achievement, with 1+ first author publications in high-impact journals/conferences
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate and mentor
- Strong grasp of computer vision fundamentals is a plus
Along with the submission of your CV, a cover letter is optional.
Relocation benefits are not available for this job posting.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location for this position in California is $21.00 - $50.00 per hour. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. This position also qualifies for paid holiday time off benefits.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Job Sub Category
Internships & Co-ops
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Jan 25th 2023