2023 Software Development Engineer Intern – Howard Practicum, Annapurna Labs
|Published||March 24, 2023|
|Location||Cupertino, United States of America|
Note: The majority of our roles are based in Cupertino, CA, however your application might be considered for all locations we hire in the United States.
Do you want to innovate across the entire stack, from hardware design to logic verification, from firmware to application, from compiler to ML framework integration?
Join us for this co-op opportunity where you will work part time during the summer months while enrolled in the Howard University/AWS Practicum.
A day in the life
Your project could include, but not limited to working with one of the following groups:
• Compiler: This team develops a compiler that is part of the Neuron Software Development Kit (SDK). This SDK is used in machine learning projects to convert complex neural network models into high performance, executable code that customers run on specialized AWS systems.
• ML Application: This is an expert team working on extending ML framework (Pytorch, Tensorflow, etc.) features for cutting edge deep learning models on Annapurna hardware. We design, build, and test ML frameworks and libraries features on behalf of customers, investigate and drive new features for ML customers using Neuron technology, and run analysis across different models and platforms to improve performance and accuracy of the products.
• Runtime: The Runtime team works closely with the Compiler and ML Application teams to unlock high-performance and cost-effective deep learning (DL) acceleration by defining key interfaces and developing the runtime stack and driver that manages the accelerator. The Runtime team owns most of the service integration work with teams/services across AWS and contributes to Docker and various other Open Source container platforms.
• Firmware: This team helps develop the next-generation of data center accelerators by combining two passions; firmware design and hardware control. We collaborate with hardware design and test teams, as well as manufacturing and system firmware, to create some of the finest chip software the planet has ever seen. Our software is used to boot, control, and diagnose accelerated computing systems at Amazon scale.
• Simulator: We are at the forefront of hardware/software co-design not just in Amazon Web Services (AWS) but across the industry. The Machine Learning Server Software Team helps with server software and system simulation and modeling. We write software to enable development teams to test their software long before custom hardware arrives. Our team leverage AWS and EC2 services to create rich and reliable modeling environments for software development. We also work with manufacturing to enable early manufacturing test and work with Test Architecture and Framework teams to enable simulation to support testing and other automation.
About the team
Annapurna is the custom silicon innovation engine inside AWS and Annapurna builds durable advantage for AWS through hardware acceleration, from computer networking, ARM-based microprocessor, to machine-learning accelerator. Annapurna builds custom chips silicon including our own Arm-based CPU (Graviton), Networking & Security (Nitro), and Machine Learning (Inferentia, Trainium), associated application software (Enhanced Networking, Neuron compiler), and all associated board-level hardware that is integrated into AWS servers and Infrastructure. Annapurna technology is used in every new server deployed in AWS since 2016, and enables customers to increase performance and cost year over year as they develop new technology to keep pace with customer feature velocity.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members in an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Projects and tasks are assigned in a way that leverages your strengths and helps you further develop your skillset.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
• Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or related degree from Howard University
• Have expressed interest Howard/AWS practicum and will be enrolled during the time of the co-op
• Have a graduation conferral date on or after November 2023
• Previous Technical Internship Experience
• Demonstrable track record of dealing with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in an agile environment
• Experience with Amazon Web Services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $42.5/hr in our lowest geographic market up to $88.94/hr in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.