|Published||November 14, 2022|
|Location||Chicago, United States of America|
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form . This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Can you predict and turn data into actions that transform products from good to great? Are you ready to fuel industry change and jumpstart your career in Machine Learning Science at a leading travel technology company? As an Intern at Expedia Group, you’ll work on meaningful projects that innovate travel, and be a part of a supportive culture of inclusivity and impact.
We pave the route for our early careers talent to go far and fast with accelerated career development. By joining the Expedia Group 2023 Global Summer Internship Program as a Machine Learning Scientist Intern , you’ll fully integrate into our inclusive community and gain a well-rounded experience of life at Expedia Group. At the conclusion of the program, you’ll have the opportunity to reflect on your experience with your manager and potentially receive a conversion offer for a full-time role as part of our Expedia Group Graduate Program after you graduate!
About The Internship Program
- Onboarding : first week support with our Early Careers team, introductions to Expedia Group, laptop set up, meet ing your intern cohort
- Intern Bootcamp: role-specific technical and professional skills learning to help you get set up for success
- Social events: regular fun events for all interns to get to know each other during the program
- Leadership Series: opportunities to directly ask questions and learn about the career journeys of our leaders during exclusive intern -only Q&A events
- Learning Series: interactive workshops to build professional & soft skills, and to support development, including topics such as personal branding and mental wellness
- Support: coaching and advice, provided by managers, navigators (buddies) and Early Careers
- Project work: interns enjoy a great level of responsibility and complete incredible projects specific to their role profile based on our business needs
What You’ll Do
Travel is so much more than simply reaching your destination. Along the way you will make an immediate impact on reimagining the way people search for travel with our awesome team by inventing brand-new techniques to power global travel for everyone, everywhere. From building pipelines and prototyping new ML models with A/B testing, to applying new techniques to services that run tens of thousands of requests per second, there is no shortage of opportunities for technical innovation at Expedia Group – the sky’s the limit!
- Applying statistics methods like confidence intervals, point estimates and sample size estimates to make sound and confident inferences on data and A/B tests
- Applying Natural Language models to Google keyword analysis and applying meta models to our multi-objective ranking problem
- Communicating complex analytical topics in a clean & simple way to multiple partners and senior leadership (both internal & external)
- Conducting feature engineering and modifying existing models/techniques to suit business needs
- Developing domain expertise in fraud & risk to understand how to detect risky transactions
- Modeling rich and complex online travel data to understand, predict and optimize business metrics to help improve the traveler experience
- Framing business problems as data science problems with a concrete set of tasks
- Apply your domain ( i.e. travel, online retail) knowledge, business acumen (understanding the underlying business objectives), and critical reasoning skills to your work
We are hiring across multiple teams; therefore , the role may differ dependent on this. Sound interesting? Then check out what our current graduates are working on here.
Who You A Re
We know that many potential candidates can be hesitant to apply for a job if they aren't sure that they meet all the criteria shared. If you meet all the criteria labelled ‘ Must ’ and are interested in this role, we encourage you to apply!
- Must be a vailable to commit to the full program dates - May 22 nd , 2023 – July 28 th , 2023 OR June 26 th , 2023 - September 1 st , 2023
- Must be graduating between December 2023 and August 2024 with a PhD degree in a technical, or analytical-related, subject such as Computer Science (with focus in areas like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Data Mining, Data Science), Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Operations Research, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Must have a 3.0 minimum cumulative G.P.A. ( U.S. roles only)
- Must be w illing to r elocate to c ity of j ob l ocation if outside commuting distance
- Must have Python and/or Scala, SQL knowledge
- Must have no more than 2 years' professional experience
- Helpful to h ave theoretical understanding various machine learning topics like Regression, Naïve Bayes, Deep Learning, Gradient Boosting, Random Forests, SVMs, Neural Networks
- Helpful to h ave experience with programming, statistical, and querying languages like Python, R, SQL/Hive, Java
- Helpful to have u nderstand ing of distributed file systems, scalable datastores, distributed computing and related technologies (Spark, Hadoop, etc.); implementation experience of MapReduce techniques, in-memory data processing, etc.
- Helpful to be familiar with cloud computing, AWS specifically, in a distributed computing context
- Helpful to be able to effectively communicate and engage with a variety of partners (e.g., internal, external, technical, non-technical people)
- Helpful to have Java, R, C++, Hive, Hadoop, Microsoft SQL Server knowledge
What We Offer
Successful candidates will receive a competitive compensation package including the benefits below and others:
- Competitive hourly wage
- Travel discounts
- Relocation s upport (if eligible)
Apply now! Our dedicated early careers team will review your application and suitable applicants will be encouraged to complete an immersive strength based online assessment as the first step. Depending on the role profile you are applying to, selected candidates may also be asked to take a skills-based screening assessment.
Candidates who are invited to a final round interview will have the opportunity to meet with members of our team through two virtual interviews covering both technical and behavioral skills related to the position. These interviews will also be a chance for you to learn more about us, too!
- Expedia Group 2021 Inclusion & Diversity Report
- Expedia Group 2021 Global Impact Report
- Expedia Group has made commitments that will propel us forward on the path to progress, including our hiring target for women to occupy 50 percent of roles at all levels by the end of 2025, and 25 percent of U.S. external hires to come from racially and ethnically underrepresented groups by the end of 2022. We want to build lasting changes for future generations.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs .
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.